Ashdown's Sub-octave?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonorous, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well how does it sounds? Is it even useable, or does it just get real muddy and shake everything to pieces?

I'm hoping it would sounds something like this but I'm not sure. I doubt a sub-octave would be the way to get that tone, but I don't know what is.

To be more specific, I'm wondering about the MAG300 and MAG400 versions.
  2. fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    well, i get shunned every time i say this but i love the sub harmonics. they really arent very useful if you are gigging but if you are recording or practicing or whatever it is a really cool sound. not as effective on the lower 2 strings because it is really really low and sometimes breaks things. but it is an awesome sound on the higher 2 strings, makes it sound really mean and growly

my 2 cents
  3. I also love the sub harmoniser as long as you set it right for the eq settings and the bass you are playing.

I use it live alot and it helps fill the sound out and sound a bit growly especially on the A string this is good in a one guitar band situation.

People have said they hate it and i can see that if you turn it up too much and play very fast runs etc then it will not keep up. But for most bass parts it does add a fuller sound and it does sound great live.

Mine is set at about 1 o clock if using the Yamaha bass and about 12 o clock if using the Musicman. I can switch it on / off with a Boss FS-5L footswitch.

Try it and see but watch your eq as loads of low bass and loads of valve drive + sub will sound a mess, but with my bass on 2 o clock and valve at 12 o clock the sub works a treat every time and tracks very fast every time.

Ps i use the ABM500 EVO 11 but the Mag series has it but not sure about the footswitch part on Mags
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The sub harmonizer sounds good for high pitched stuff mainly. I think if you play D and G strings it sounds good, but solo stuff.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks guys, I apreciate it.

Does anyone have a song that they've recorded with a mic'd Ashdown with the sub harmonizer on? I'd really like to hear it.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I kept mine off all the time.... it tracks WAY too slow to be used anywhere but high in the neck. That with the fact it isn't footswitchable made it useless to me.

Cool tune, doesn't sound like an octave effect, just a clear & deep "B" string.

(fyi: I owned 2 late 90s MAG 200 combos.)
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Had 2 RPM preamps. The first one, I didn't use the feature much because if I had the level knob, or whatever it's called, up high enough for the octave to be noticeable, when the feature was switched off the amp made a sound like an idling V8 engine. On the 2nd one, I liked the octave in places, blended fairly low in the mix.

Prefer the Digitech Bass Synth Wah used as an octave though. Sounds great, tracks great, and the pedal can be used for a gazillion different effects besides.