1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashes to Ashes (Life on Mars sequel) - No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 20, 2009.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Series 2 of Ashes to Ashes is starting here on BBC1 in 30 minutes. Gene Hunt FTW! :hyper:

(Please don't post plot spoilers in this thread as our USA friends may not get this for a while yet.)

2. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Whatever happened to Adam Ant?

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    uhh..... what?

4. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Adam Ant

adamant.

was big in the early eighties, when this series is set.

They were playing him in the background tonight.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Really excellent first episode in this new series. All SORTS of very, very weird stuff going on. :eek:

I love the way the writers unravel the plot elements bit by bit. Even if the pay-off isn't up to snuff, the process is still great and that makes it very watchable.

Fans of Life On Mars will love this series, if you haven't seen it yet. And those who watched series one of Ashes To Ashes will enjoy this new batch, judging by tonight's installment. The first episode is on BBC iPlayer if you missed it earlier.

The addeed bonus is definitely Keeley Hawes, who is a bit of a sweetheart, it has to be said.

[​IMG]

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I saw the British series about a year ago and was really disappointed in the ending. So much so that I didn't bother to check out the American one.

7. Great episode. Very dark. Really looking forward to the rest of the series now. The first series was good, but seemed a little lighthearted compared to LOM - already, it looks like this series has corrected that.

Some top quotes too....

Ray: "Fire up the photocopier!"
    Gene: "I didn't know you had a Ph.D. in masturbation!"
    Gene: "Gene Hunt does not wait for the sixth in line to the throne!"

8. The American LOM was OK - nowhere near as good as the original though. It reused a lot of the UK scripts, tweaked to make them more relevant to the US, plus the show was a lot more about Sam - Sam was obviously important in the UK version, but it really was all about the Gene Genie. Also, I like Harvey Keitel as an actor, but he is not Gene Hunt. There's only one Gene Hunt, and he's from Manchester and played by Philip Glenister. :D

Also, what was with that ending? A spaceship? :rollno:

9. I caught the show on BBC America recently...not half bad. Wasn't overly impressed, but I'd watch it again.

10. Larz48

Larz48

Aug 18, 2007
    P.A.
    I watched every episode of Life on Mars and I didn't realize a 2nd series of Ashes to Ashes had started. Time to get the DVR going. Thanks!

11. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    For some reason, my brain read that title as "Angela's Ashes." Needless to say, the subsequent words "(Life on Mars sequel)" left me somewhat perplexed.

12. Gene Hunt is great!