Ashley Pangborn Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor Bass (Nick Smith), Jan 9, 2001.

1. Hallo!

Are there any Ashley Pangborn bass owners out there!?

Please add to this thread if you have one or know of anyone who has one!

2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  3. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA

More like: "Alembic-Rip-off"
  4. Thanks! That fantastic site you mention, I am featured there as I own two Pangborns! The guy who runs the site (my good friend Ian Middleton owns one and that particular bass he has is one of the most beautiful bass guitars in the world - it is a stunning bass!)

Worth checking out!!

5. Actually, Ashley's basses were similar in terms of looks and construction and were inspired by Alembic but they are definitely unique instruments! In fact Mica Wickersham (Miss Alembic!) can be quoted as saying `Ashley's basses were the prettiest Alembic styled instruments on the market!'. Anyway, think about the number of Fender P and J clones out there!

Nick (have you ever seen/played a Pangborn!?)
  6. ian_midi

Jan 11, 2001
    The fact that the Pangborn Warlord is heavily influenced by Alembic is undeniable (in fact Ashley was well known as a huge admirer of Alembic) but the same 'critisicm' could be pointed at nearly all through neck basses built in the last twenty years, Ken Smith, JD etc could all be called 'Alembic Rip Offs' just as you could call a Wal a Fender Precision 'rip-off'. The simple fact is that each of these makers offer high quality instruments that should be judged on their own merits.
    MrRobert likes this.
  7. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I'm gonna built an exotic car that is almost identical to a Ferrari. The only difference will be the name, it is gonna be call Ferrara. Please dont blame me for my lack of idea, my brain hurt when I think!
    MrRobert likes this.
  8. dave_anderson

Jan 11, 2001
    1950 California,
    I think Ill will invent a version of a guitar with 4 strings tuned an octave down with frets so musicians can have precise intonation.I will call it a Bass Guitar and nobody should ever make anything similar to this concept or they are plagerising my idea!
    my brain hurts?
    Thank F**k this wasnt the case!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Mik Walker

Mik Walker Supporting Member

Dec 26, 1999
    On the other hand, perhaps there is room (and always will be) for those rightly proud of the Alembic heritage to, nevertheless, take it upon themselves to build basses that pay homage to Alembic whilst tackling and correcting some of their fundamental design failings.

If Alembic basses were perfect then it might be admissable to protect their honour to the nth degree. They're great basses, I proudly own the only Jimmy Johnson 5 in existence (to date) and will probably buy a Series II at some point if and when finances (and other bass purchases) permit. However, Alembics are not without their faults and idiosyncracies (balancing, home-made breadboard style electronics, intense power consumption, noise, weight, inability to feed both pickups to mono out on older models etc etc.....). For sure, most basses worth playing have this type of "character" in some form or another.

There is a saying along the lines of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. If Mica can be appreciative without feeling the need for rancour or legal action then I'd say there's room in the world for pretty much all of the fine bassmakers around, whether they imitate Alembic or not. At the end of the day we want fine basses to play......
  10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    BUMP!! How's this for a necro thread?

Anybody got anything to add here? Is Ashley Pangborn still going?

I'd like to hear from anyone who owns or has ever played one of his fretless basses with the aluminium fingerboard.
  11. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    The short answer is no, Ashley is no longer building instruments under his own name and has not done so it would seem since the late 80's. He was supposed to be working in Germany for Gibson, but that does not seem to be the case now. If you go to the UK website, Basschat and do a search for Pangborn, there is some information in several threads about his instruments, about why he left the UK (allegedly) and some recent attempts by various people to track him down. Shame; he built some nice basses and deserved to enjoy more success than he did.
  12. yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    lol :p
  13. Jim Buchan

Jim Buchan

Nov 12, 2015
    If I have the privacy settings right, this link should take you to photos of my Pangborn ==>Facebook