Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashly BP41 Preamp Manual Needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KevinC, Dec 26, 2004.

1. KevinC

KevinC Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2002
    West Des Moines, IA
    :help: Happy Holidays everyone!!! I am in need of a manual for my newly acquired Ashly BP41 preamp. I have looked high and low on the internet and have not been able to locate one. :ninja: If someone has a manual and could scan it into a PDF file and email it to me it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone knows of a website that I could find one to download that would be even easier.

Thanks again for your help!

fourstrings@netins.net

:bassist:

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I assume you went here: http://www.ashly.com/, emailed support, and struck out ? They sent me a schematic for my BP41 in a matter of hours. I didn't ask for a manual though. There's a little general info on the website as well, in the "older products" section.

Beyond that, what do you need to know? Talkbass member Dirk Diggler has been using these for many years, and could probably help you out if you PM him. I've only had mine (which was formerly one of Dirk's) for a month or two, and have hacked it pretty substantially. :cool:

3. KevinC

KevinC Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2002
    West Des Moines, IA
    :eyebrow: Actually Passinwind, you are right, a schematic is probably more what I need in this case and not an owners manual. What I want to be able to do is to be able to punch the effects loop in and out via a remote foot switch so that I can bypass my pedal board, etc without using the switch on the front of the preamp itself (hands-free). If you have a schematic, could I get a copy of it?

Thanks for your response.

:)

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... I'd be pretty interested to know howto do that, too. A local player is a big fan of the BP41 and I've been thinking of trying one out. If you can turn on/off the efx loop via footswitch that'd be pretty cool.

Any of you guys have the chance to compare the BP41 to solid-state pres still in production, like the EBS, Sansamp RBI, etc?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Definately belongs in amps. Moved. :)

6. KevinC

KevinC Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2002
    West Des Moines, IA
    I received a scanned schematic from Mike Bow from Ashly this morning. :cool:

Thanks everyone for your help. I will let you know if I am successful in setup of a remote foot switch option making it possible to punch in and out the effects loop on the BP41.
    :hyper:

7. Passinwind

There's no need to hack your Ashly to accomplish this, just get or build an external true bypass like the Loooper or something similar. http://www.loooper.com/

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Those are great for footpedals (I have a Micro-Loooper myself) but are not optimal for rack effects, unless you wanna run long lengths of cable from the amp/rack to wherever you stand in front of it and back. I spoke with Dave Boggs about making a remote switcher to do this, but it's not on his drawing board.

9. Passinwind

The Ashly uses balanced in and outs for the EFX loop, so long cables would be fine, assuming you had enough poles in the switches to accomodate that. Probably fine even run unbalanced in most cases, actually. One way or another, at least one long cable is going to be part of the program, unless you make a wireless switcher. :cool:

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wireless would indeed be very cool :) ... the length of the cable is not a big deal if it's only a remote-control, i.e. the audio signal doesn't flow thru it. I just prefer not to have the audio signal (balanced or unbalanced) go thru an extra 12-30' of cable just to accomodate switching.

I currently have a MIDI footswitch system (Axess GRX-4 and MCF5) for when I wanna do this... and would prefer to do away with it altogether and just have simple remote-footswitching (i.e. no MIDI) to put all rack effects in/out at the same time... except even this is a relative rarity in the bass amp world.

11. KevinC

KevinC Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2002
    West Des Moines, IA
    ;) Thanks again for all the great ideas guys! I did call Dave today @ Loooper I have ordered a Loooper 2. I plan to put my ME-50B on the first loop and a couple of my old favorite pedals on the second loop. My main concern all along was to be able to completely bypass my entire pedal board to get a good, clean, non-colored signal to the PB41, my Ashly Compressor and my new Crown XLS 402B power amp.

Thanks again for the great input and ideas.

Kevin :bassist: