1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashodown+Yorkville full stack TONE and headroom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Apr 16, 2009.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    I remember people going on about how 300 watts is the minimum, I had my rig at a metal show competing with a Peavey tube head + Mesa full stack that the guitarist was using and i was keeping up just fine. The next bands bassist used my rig and he had to deal with 2 guitarists with two full stacks and he had to lower volume.

Seems like 300 watts is enough for me, I don't see many situations where i would need to be THAT much louder and yet i've been told that i'll have to upgrade.

I love my rig the thing is a 300watt beast, I only had the inputs and outputs at half, and that was more then enough. No clipping.

I can understand the quest for TONE but sometmes i think i hear too much about upgrading gear for little things, and i've also learned that speaker surface area makes a much bigfger difference on what i hear on stage then power ratings

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I hear you. ;). However, with current technology and many options, I see no reason not to go for more watts if you are in the market anyway. Watts are cheap.