Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashton Heads & Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flexo, Jul 3, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

I'm getting a bass amp soon and i've been looking at maybe getting an Ashdown MAG300 1 x 15 combo.

However, i've recently seen a 400 watt head and 4 x 10 ashton setup for around the same price and i'm just wondering how the ashton bass amps compare to the Ashdowns, Hartkes and other similarly pricep amps? Are they decent? Would i be better off with the Ashdown?

2. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Just did a bit of a search. Doesn't seem like the ashtons are are liked very much!

What are some alternatives? What about the pro-audio heads & cabs? Also how are the mercury cabs?

3. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    They're not bad.

Id go with ashdown though. Any Day.

4. +1. Be careful, you might get screwed on Customer Support though.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I prefered the Hartke 3500 when I abd it vs the Ashdown MAG 300, Hartke is out of fashion on TB, ignore the zealots and go compare them for yourself. I just found the Hartke was better value for money than anything on the martket and more flexible too. I personally like the crisp aluminium cone sound. If you find it sounds too sterile etc. just bring the eq into play and there aren't many sounds it can't give you. Be warned, the solid state preamp is not particularly good sounding on it's own, personally I use tube only, the tube produces a nicer sound, always use at least some tube with the ss. Ashdown do have a slightly tarnished reliability record though, and I've heard their Customer Support can be assholes when it comes to replacement gear etc. Anyway, decide for yourself, just try everything you can afford and find (and some stuff you can't just to get a benchmark).

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The Pro-Audio 400W head is excellent band for your buck. I've got a very similar head under the "Ebony" brand which is pretty much the same except for a slightly different pre-amp. And I didn't buy it because I couldn't afford anything else. Indeed I had enough money to buy a GK 1001B and was looking very closely at Eden and Labsystem's heads as well. But the Ebony (Pro-Audio) head was just too good and was only half the price.

Three months after buying the first one, I was so happy with it I went back and bought a second one. That was about 3 years ago now and both are still going strong with no intentions to "upgrade".

I've not played the cabs other than a quick blat at a music store. They seemed pretty good but I didn't get a chance to put them through their paces.

7. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    There seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread between Ashdown and Ashton. The original question was about Ashdown.

8. Ha Dave, I think the original thread was actually titled "Ashton Heads & Cabs" - woops!
    And then he mentions comparing with an Ashdown

9. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Yep thats right scottboy, i was referring to ashton.

The situation is that i've almost decided that i'll get an ASHDOWN amp but i have neglected to have a look at the ASHTON amps. Since the ashtons are pretty damn cheap i thought id get a few opinions on them.

Do any fellow Aussies know of any other similarly priced gear that sounds pretty good?

10. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    The Pro Audio/Ebony amps are great.....

Both Pete & I gig with them.... I use mine for 4-6 gigs a month on average and have been for about 18months. Blew a fuse once in that time and have had no problems since ( probably a dicky factory fuse even.. No biggie, I carry spares )..

From what I understand from Pete, He gigs his more than me...

Both brands made by Audio Assemblers in Melbourne & rebadged with either of those brand names. Lab Systems stuff is made in the same factory too IIRC.

I run a 400w 2x12 combo with a 4x10 box... All Pro Audio.. All Eminence speakers in the cabs.. Well built, Survived plenty of out of town gigs etc etc.....

Half the price of the imports or better.......

11. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I might check these out. Now if i can just find my old proaudio catalogue i could see what's available and get prices for them!

Even if i end up going with the Ashdown, i will definately consider their cabs. How much do they run for the various setups?

12. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    IIRC the 400w head is about a grand

My combo was about $1800 retail
    600w 4x10 was about $1100

They do 2x10,4x10,1x15 & 2x15 not sure if they do the 2x12 on it's own or only as part of the combo.....

Call 'em and ask for Nathan or Lawrence... Tell 'em Dan Matthews sent you and they might do a little better on the price too.

www.proaudio.com.au

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Both my amps have done hundreds of gigs and mever missed a beat. Indeed Amp No 1 spent the first year of it's life of tour, being thrown in and our of trucks by well-meaning but not always gentle roadies. Admittedly I house them in decent cases, but so far I have had no issues whatsoever with reliability. 100% perfect record.

I actually met and chatted with the amp's designer at the last Entech trade show. I can't remember his name but he was a good guy and technically very sharp!