Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashtray cover

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FreeSpirit, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Okay so i have a MIM Jazz and I've been wanting to do little upgrades on it to make it look more like a RI, cause i love the way those 75's jazz's look. I started off with just adding a thumb rest, and it helped me alot with playing,and i think it looks killer. i want to add a tortise shell pick guard soon, but first i ordered an ashtray and a bell cover. does anyone have any pictures of a jazz with the covers. and aswell how hard do you think it would be for me to install it myself?

2. d.bond

d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    i installed a bridge/pup cover on my jazz and it looks fantastic.
    it's got the big "f" on it. you just have to drill (or make pilots) for two holes, very easy, and looks vintage. although you do loose the tonal versatility of playing over the bridge pup. make sure you set your intonation before you install one though, so you don't have to keep taking it off and putting it back on

3. yeah thankls i ddin;t think it would be that difficult. i'm really hopping mine has the "f" on it.

4. marty1966

marty1966

Sep 24, 2004
    Here's a pic of a '62 Jazz with the covers on .....sadly it's not mine!

Attached Files:

5. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I would put a little tape over the spot before you drill the holes. This may help reduce the chance of the paint chipping or cracking. Yes, drill through the tape.

6. cool thanks guys. i put them on an they look cool, and i'll pt pictures up when i get back from vacation. the only thing is i sitll looks cheap with that white pickguard. but i will change that soon. :D

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I love the way those covers look! but they make the bass more or less impossible to play, I play in between the pickups and there's almost no space between the covers so my fingers always rub against them and it severly restricts freedom of finger movement. I wouldn't spend money on them but hey it's not my bass.

8. eviltoilet

eviltoilet

Mar 7, 2005
    waaaittt....is it me or is the thumbrest in the wrong place??

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Right in the sense of where it originally went - apparently Leo Fender thought people would want to use their fingers on that rest and play with their thumb.

Personally I'd just move the rest to like, the neck where it would actually be used...