Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashtrays

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 2, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Does anyone know if a Jazz bridge/pickup cover will fit over a Badass II?

I am going to put a pearloid pickguard on my Geddy Lee, and I am thinking of putting ashtrays on it too.

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    :confused: im not real sure..... i think they would tho. http://test.angela.com/catalog/guitar-parts/bass.html <<< check this out. i played a '62 reissue the other day, and it looked like there was a lot room in there. what are the dimensions on the BadassII? i was thinkin like 4" but i could be wrong. i would suggest emailing the fender custom shop or fender and ask if it would fit.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The Badass will fit inside the cover,but you may need to move the bridge forward so the cover doesnt hang off the back of the Bass.
    Im going to do this on my MIM Deluxe J.Ive got a cover from a 77 Jazz,and Ive got it figured that I need to move the bridge forward 1/2" to have the cover fit on the body and still be able to intonate the Bass.The only drawback that I see is that the bridge pickup wont be fully covered(you may see 1/8" of pickup).

Good luck Jeff.

4. In a word "no" unless you think it's worth it to drill more holes in the body of the bass in order to move the bridge. You could always swap out the Badass for a stock Fender style bridge.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I'm with ZoomBoy on this one. You'd probably be better off going with a higher mass version of the stock Fender bridge. I think Gotoh makes one that is similar in dimension to the Fender bridge, and, yet, has the higher mass benefits of the BadAss. Seems like a much easier mod than moving your bridge up 1/2". Hambone can probably recommend a replacement that will easily fit under the cover without drilling new holes in your bass.

6. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If I didnt already have the Badass,Id try to find a bridge that fit without modifications. But,in my case Ive already got the Badass,so rather than spend more money for a different bridge,I'll simply move it instead.Imo it shouldnt be a big deal to drill five holes.

Good luck :)

7. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    definitely not. i had the ashtrays on my MIM jazz w/ a badass on it wouldn't fit too long, then i put a gotoh on it and that didnt work too high. so i bit the bullet and redrilled holes and kept the gotoh on it love that look on my "frankenstein J bass".

erik

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I read in a Jamerson interview about that there is mute in the cover. Do the reissue covers have the mute?

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My cover has a mute in it.Its only a piece of hard foam thats glued in.Should take all of five seconds to slice it out.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Why? Does it always mute the bass? or do you have to push it down?

11. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    With the way Ive got it positioned over the Badass,it mutes the strings.

Sorry it took so long to respond,computer took a crap(hard drive died).Gotta use the computer at work until I can get mine fixed.

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    The cover doesn't fit over the Gotoh201 already tried that.