1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Asian Ampeg: Made in China, Korea, or Vietnam?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iristone, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    How do I identify them when buying/hiring amps? Which country would the present models be made in? How do they compare in sound, reliability, etc.?
    Okay, since I'm Chinese I'm a bit partial to made in China amps... But it's really sound and roadworthiness that matters the most.
    Anyone could shed some light?
    Iristone

2. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Maybe I should have title it 'Hello from China and a question about Asian Ampegs'?

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If you look on the back of the amp, there is a label that specifies the country of origin, “Made in China” for example.

The ones with the worst reputation were the ones made in Vietnam. They had a lot of quality issues and many were returned soon after being sold. For instance, scratches on the faceplate and poorly covered cabinets. This is aside from poor quality soldering of the electronics. If you have a unit from Vietman and it looks good and is working well, there isn’t a lot to be concened with. There were a lot with out of the box issues though.

The ones made in China and Korea are good. They are made in China now and have been for a number of years. You can identify the date of manufacture from the serial number on the back of the amp. Search on TB for how to decode the serial number.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    AlexanderB likes this.
  4. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Thank you! Then I think I'll just try a new one at store, and it will turn out great.
    Iristone

beans-on-toast likes this.