Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Asian Ebony for fretted board?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Sep 1, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    what do you think about that?
    Would RoundWound strings be bad for the wood?
    Thanks

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    We actually have a 9 string Fretless SC being built for a customer with Asian Ebony top and Finger board.....

It will be a while before pictures ever surface, but it will be very sweet and the Asian Ebony is very nice and strong.

[​IMG]

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The strings never touch the wood, right?

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've been looking at some asian ebony at Gilmerwood lately. Pretty cool looking stuff. Thinking about throwing it on the back of an upcoming bass. Not sure though. It would have to be the type that has the green and brown figuring in it.

5. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    OK
    anybody has an Ebony fingerboard on a fretted bass?

6. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Ebony is a very hard wood. If an ebony board can handle the strings on a fretless, how much more so on fretted?

Yes, I have a bass with a Warmoth neck with ebony fretboard. It's great.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a DiPinto Belvedere Standard, which is semi-hollow and fretted with ebony fretboard. Love it. I wish it were an option on more basses.

8. I can't wait to see this!

9. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    There is no worry with roundwounds on a fretted ebony board. Ebony is one of the hardest woods available, so the wood on most bass fretboards other than ebony are more vulnerable to roundwound wear.