Ask a pro his...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by ChildoftheKorn, Sep 24, 2003.

1. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    hey mike well i have 2 questions

well i recently got a teacher and were im learnnotes and the like...but he pointed out my fingerstyle is wrong :confused: this confused me seeing i went from pick to fingerstyle pretty easily and all the bass players i played with never seemed to care. Since i played punk and adapted my right hand technnique to get a good sounds and speed i pluck with my index finger and middle finger....and he tells me i ned to push down more then pluck and it seems theres no real sound diffrence and it just ends up hindering i guess my question is what is the correct way?

and my other question (yes i saw a thread about this already on this section but..)is what kind of practice schedule should i have if i have an hour a day since i usually just end up playing my favorite tunes over and over or making new lines and solos. i wanna know whats a good regime for a starting bassist ( since im learning what new bassists learn)

eh sorry if i worded stuff wrong you'll have to excuse me its 1:33 am :)
  2. Being a fingerstyle guitarist myself, maybe your teacher wanted you to do rest strokes rather than free strokes. Rest strokes are for pure speed and dynamic power. Free strokes are more gentler and not as harsh, but the power and dynamics aren't as "in your face" as rest strokes because of the different attack and leverage of the fingers. But if you say that you play just fine with what you've got, I guess that's good enough. Being a teacher, he probably just wanted to discipline your fingers for dexterity's sake as well.

As for practicing, well...I'll let Mike answer that 'cause he's the guru. :bassist: :)
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"