Asking For A Favor

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Petary791, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Disclaimer: I do not know if this is the right section.

I don't want to sound like a demanding little d*ck, but, I saw that on Warmoth you can make your own custom design. I was wondering if somebody could sketch this for me (i'm a god awful artist.)

You guys are awesome, thanks!
  2. Here's the thing Pet, bass building is a fraternity. From the highest pinnacle of the art occupied by guys like Carl Thompson, Rick Turner, and Ken Smith, to the barrio of building squatted on by guys like me, there is a connection we all share. Part of this connection is a respect for the individuals design effort. These shapes are not chosen randomly or hastily but rather are developed over a long period of time to be what we see today. That's a lot of work. Because of this, I myself and most of the builders/designers I know, won't copy a design from another builder. If you want to copy the Carl Thompson design, no one can stop you, not even Carl, but you should ask him directly if you can snag it for your project. He might be perfectly willing or he might adamantly reject your request but either way, he will respect your asking and, in the end, you'll feel better about it.

And no matter what you read, I'm almost certain Warmoth won't build that for you. That is a neckthru bass. PM bwbass and ask. He works for Warmoth.
  3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    interesting design....t
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I kinda figured that hambone.

I guess i'll take initiative and draw my own design!

5. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Nice turn of phrase! :D

(Of course, my day job is working with words ... :( )
  6. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Actually, the Rainbow Bass is not a neckthru. It's a set neck, and the site has other angles. But yeah, Warmoth will probably not make that bass for you. Besides, It's as Hammy said: it's a fraternity (not to discredit the women in the trade with that term), and a lot of respect is traded (except for the guy who works with Ed Roman; apparently, he steals designs and claims them as his own). You should perhaps draw something yourself (I'm a bad artist, too, and I've come up with some decent designs for instruments), and keep improving upon it. The more you practice, the better you will get.
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I kinda feel like a dick for asking that question, but thanks for the insight. :)
  8. A good way to get your own design but keep traits of your favorite influence is to download a pic into a tracing program and get a vector outline. Then import that into a drawing program or CAD program that allows you to edit vector curves. Then you begin tugging and pushing the curves into new shapes, leaving some, tweaking others, until you achieve another, original design. You don't have to be and artist because this type of graphic allows automatically smoothed curves. You can even move entire sections of a curve to make it fit the design. Once finished, it's then very easy to print, at least, tiled pages to make full sized patterns.
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Awesome man! Thanks a ton, could you give me a link to a program(s) that I would have to use?
  10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Mr. Bone for somebody that lives in "the barrio" you seem pretty computer literate. :D I would be interested in the design software you are referring to. I have just been using big sheets of construction paper, a pencil and a big eraser. ......t
  11. River Gambler

River Gambler

Feb 10, 2005
    Ok, I might be missing something here or not in the loop on fret spaceing. Could some one explane the fret spaceing on that bass. Tom
  12. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    There's dark lines for 3,5,7, etc.
  13. Guys, I use CorelDraw for everything from "sketching" to color illustration to CAM file generation. Though more recent version have tons of features, earlier version present plenty of tools to do what's needed. Currently I work on ver.9 and 12 and print out to an 11 x 17 HP printer or my 24" Ioline plotter through another standalone program.

I've got Ver.4 on CD that I will give you copies of and I have access to version 5 from work that I think would be even better - It's been a long time since I worked on that one. Don't worry about copyright laws. Corel has released these two early versions as freeware through various outlets for a couple of years now. If you'll pop me an email with your addys, I'll get you a disc.
  14. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I agree with the whole origianl design thing. I've been working on the same design for about a year now. I find it a little hard, though, to come up with a purely original design. I finished a full-sized sketch the other day only to discover a custom bass that looked a lot like the one I drew. Like Hambone said, it takes time.