1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ASKING for bass solos???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by unbridled, Mar 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    My new Band Leader has called for bass solos a couple times in the past five or six gigs.

Is he messed up in the head?

He might be testing me a bit, but it's confusing because we swap vocals frequently, so he'll rip a killer solo and call out my name. He's gotten a couple different reactions from me. I either start singing, tell him I don't know the words while playing, or he'll get a solo. Some time, he'll get what he's looking for.

Should I be worried about his sanity?

Edit- I'm taking about a mid-song solo/ lead/run whatever you want to call it. No biggie.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    I don't get what this post is about.

Why?

He ask for a bass solo, and you start singing while telling him you don't know the words?

It's not the band leaders sanity I would question at least.

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Whenever the bandleader tells me "Take it away Cliff!" I look at him and ask, "Take it where?"

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you do not wish to play bass solos, tell the band leader you do not wish to play bass solos. If he refuses, find another band or find a way to embarrass him on stage a few times.

I once saw a banjo player when asked to do a solo grab a tambourine on go off on it right next to the mic. He was not only banging the crap out of that tambourine, but he was yelling "Woohooooo! Yeah baby!!!! Hell yeah!!!!" the whole time he was doing it. Everyone else on stage looked dumbfounded. Oddly enough, he was not asked to solo anymore that night. ;) I'm guessing he had made his point.

(All that aside, he was an amazing tambourine player....:D)

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Of course, if you're gonna be a weirdo and start singing, you may as well go all the way. I'm not gonna waste a good chance to be a weirdo myself. Break off some of this on the mic. :bassist:

6. noagreement

noagreement

Oct 12, 2006
    Yo Philly!
    "Take it to the bridge" like a sex machine.

Seriously, just go with it. I would take it as a compliment when someone asks for a bass solo!

Ant Illington and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    I'm not complaining. I was just shocked the first couple times and automatically assumed he wanted me to sing, because no one ever asks for bass solos anymore. He's cool and easy going and just rolls with it. At least I pulled off the last couple well. We clicked well last night.

TuneSalad666 and BassCliff like this.
  8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    “Here k-k-kitty, kitty, kitty!”

two fingers likes this.
  9. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015

ROTFLMAO!!!!
    Oh, thank you, did that ever take me back! Jerry had some family. Between this guy, with the James Brown moves, and Speedy (and his buddies) they kept me in stitches, taught remedial Spanish (El Gato!!) and generally set civilization back twenty years!
    Bring that mouse a cape!!
    Oh.....OP, if Crambone doesn't work for you, try some Hambone....

unbridled and two fingers like this.
  10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    5296a3048c6b35a10536faae833386bc.jpg

11. Hit the boost pedal and ride the open A. He'll quit asking soon enough....

Or work up a signature lick to have ready.

Both are good choices.... ;):thumbsup:

unbridled likes this.
  12. Here’s a crazy idea. Take a bass solo and enjoy it. I’m not for too many bass solos but there’s no reason why you should feel uncomfortable taking a solo once or twice a night especially if the band leader is all about it. People enjoy and respond to bass more than they’ll ever know so enjoy the attention, play your ass off and then get back to being the hidden glue in the band.

13. Urich_jr

Urich_jr

Mar 13, 2018
    СПб
    I always building a solo line around vocal line. ALWAYS. Just believe me - it's working.
    BL - Man, that solo was awesome!
    Me - Yep, thats your vocal line with some extras.

BL - Man, that solo was terrible!
    Me - Yep, thats your vocal line with some extras.

14. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Just start playing the solo from AC DC's jailbreak!

If ya dont know it, listen to it!

unbridled likes this.
  15. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Don't understand the problem. If he says solo step forward and let it rip.

16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nooooooo not a bass solo
    sscreem.jpg

Sixgunn and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  17. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    You should go all Billy Sheehan on him and turn up the distortion and just blow it out! Play something that is in a totally different genre than the band plays. Turn metal into polka (or vice versa). Make a Spinal Tap moment out of it. If you do something outlandish, either it will be a huge hit, or you'll never be asked again.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I lived through the 1980's - the heyday of bass solos - all the big bands started having solos for everyone on stage, including the bassist. You haven't "lived" until you've heard a bad 10 minute bass solo. I'm pretty sure most of the jokes about bass solos were written in the 1980's

I was a bass player then. I still am. Trust me, nobody in their right mind wants to go back to that part of the 80's. Tearing down the Berlin wall? Sure. Big hair? OK. Bands with ridiculous amounts of equipment on stage? No problem. Bass solo? No thanks.

Full disclosure: I did play a couple bass solos in the 80's, but they were sub 1 minute in length. Even in the 80's, I knew it was a bad idea, so when called on, I kept them short.

SpyderX and dbase like this.
  19. It sounds like a great learning opportunity. You didn't mention what kind of music you're playing but bass solos or improvisational sections are pretty integral to a ton of genres.

Passinwind likes this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    OK it's semantics, but there's a big difference between "dropping down to a groove" and a "bass solo" in my mind. I do the first a lot, the second not so much.

SpyderX likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021