Asking for some advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbase, Aug 30, 2018.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    My rig consists of a Hartke LH500 and 2 Hartke Hydrive 1x12's. I've been using this setup for many years now because it's light enough for me to lug around. Lately the two guitar players purchased all tube combos and are now very loud. Loud enough that someone in the audience at my last gig told me they couldn't hear the bass. I'm running the volume and bass controls at 2/3 of max now. There is no farting at these settings.. I'm going to have to crank it up more but if I hear it pop or fart, did I go to far and the cone is now damaged? OR Should I add a powered 1x15 cab to the mix.

2. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I suggest getting the guitarists to turn down, tho' I realize it might be a futile task.

abarson, Stumbo and Nashrakh like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Band meeting time.

Volume wars are expensive and no one wins, especially the audience.

abarson, The Chuck and Haroldo like this.
  4. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I realize they aren't the most "hardcore" looking stage accessories, but years ago I started using amp stands for my guitar amps when I was out of high school and wasn't using big stacks that were shoulder height. I gig on guitar with a fairly large amp, an Orange CR120 through a Bogner oversized 2x12, but I raise it two feet in the air on a T-stand.

I really don't have to push the thing too hard to get an adequate punch out of it, and I've learned from listening back to live recordings from a room/camera mic, rather than off the board, that sticking to a somewhat flat voicing is the way to go. With an amp on the floor, especially with open back cabs/combos, you get over-hyped bass and you end up with more treble EQ'd in to compensate. It ends up sounding woofy and indistinct when off-axis in the room and way too bright on axis and through the mic. I set the treble flat at noon and nudge the bass up to 1 'o clock since the Bogner is sealed and "tighter" sounding in addition to being raised up off the floor. I'm not stepping on the bassist's toes this way and having a large 2x12 cab within three feet of my head certainly gives me adequate monitoring!

That's all to say that 500 watts through dual 1x12 cabs for a bass rig should be adequate for a large share of gigging scenarios. I would ask the guitar players to try either tilting up the amps against a wall, putting them on a chair, or getting a stand. I even use the same T-stand, which is about two feet tall, for my bass cabs now as I like having the sound at shoulder height so I can hear it; it makes my 4x10 the same height as my 8x10!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021