1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Asking the experts! New bass Q...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fullflex, Jul 13, 2012.

1. fullflex

fullflex

Jul 13, 2012
    Hey Everybody,

This is my first post here! I'm excited to be able to learn from all of you more experienced bassists out there.

But anyways. I've been playing bass for about 3 years, and want to upgrade to a new bass that will last me for a long while. Price isn't too much of a worry, but I don't really want to spend over 3000. I slap quite a bit, and was wondering what basses you'd recommend me.

I just tried out the Ibanez BTB series and liked what it had to offer, but couldn't help but wonder how well it's made/if I should just save for a Warwick or something similar. I had a J bass awhile back, but I like the tonal options of the active pickup realm. I should also mention I'm very into natural wood finishes.

Any help is appreciated guys.

2. Check out the new Brubaker Brute Singlecuts. Good prices, and natural finish is coming out soon! (I think :p )

Another option, and the next bass i would like to get, a Stambaugh Duality.

3. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    if you can spend up to 3000, there are many builders besides ibanez and fender you should checkout. Brubaker, Roscoe, Musicman, Mtd, F-bass and about 60 others. If you can swing around 4 grand I'd check out a fodera nyc empire.

4. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    You've got a good amount to spend. This means that you have tons of options on the new market, and even more on the used market. The first thing you have to do is start to narrow down what will feel best for you.

Start trying out everything you can get your hands on. Take notes on each of the basses. What feels good, and what feels bad? Start with the feel, then move to sound. If you figure out the ideal feel which will involve:

Scale length
    String spacing
    Neck thickness/profile
    Neck joint (bolt on/set neck/neck thru)

you can then start to narrow down what components your next bass should have:

Pickup configuration (humbuckers/jazz/single coil, etc...)
    Electronics (3-band, 4-band, piezo, blend, etc...)
    Woods (body and neck)

Once you start to narrow all that stuff down, you'll be able to find which manufacturer meets your need, or what you want to tell a luthier to build for you.