Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Asking the pros as well...what the heck do I do about string ring???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RevGroove, Sep 28, 2002.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm going nuts trying to figure this out...my tech restrung, set up, and intonated my bass on Wednesday...but I had to take it back to him on Friday because I noticed a really annoying ringing when I slapped.

No problem, he took a quick look at it, adjusted the truss rod, but then he had to run out for the rest of the day on a family emergency.

So, I take it home, pull it out to play, and that dang ringing noise is still there...only when I slap...like the string is ringing against the frets, if you know what I mean!!!

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and what can be done to stop it? He set up my other bass a few days before, and there's no problem whatsoever with that one. I don't want to bug the guy too much as he is a co-worker, but I need my gear to work properly, so I am considering getting a second opinon, but thought I'd post something first to see if any of you have a solution...thanks in advance!!!