Asking the pros as well...what the heck do I do about string ring???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RevGroove, Sep 28, 2002.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm going nuts trying to figure this tech restrung, set up, and intonated my bass on Wednesday...but I had to take it back to him on Friday because I noticed a really annoying ringing when I slapped.

No problem, he took a quick look at it, adjusted the truss rod, but then he had to run out for the rest of the day on a family emergency.

So, I take it home, pull it out to play, and that dang ringing noise is still there...only when I the string is ringing against the frets, if you know what I mean!!!

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and what can be done to stop it? He set up my other bass a few days before, and there's no problem whatsoever with that one. I don't want to bug the guy too much as he is a co-worker, but I need my gear to work properly, so I am considering getting a second opinon, but thought I'd post something first to see if any of you have a solution...thanks in advance!!!