Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aspen Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubadude, Jul 6, 2005.

1. tubadude

tubadude Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2004
    greensboro nc
    Does anyone have any info on Aspen electric basses? My first bass ever was an Aspen Gibson EB copy that I bought in the mid 70's. I know these were low end instruments, but man I sure would love to find one just for sentimental/nostalgic reasons.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Aspen was imported by IMC who also imported Hondo. They were made in Korea and were pretty low end.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow!!! In the 5 years I've been on Talkbass I've never read mention of Aspen basses.

My first "real" bass was a black Aspen P-bass copy with a DiMarzio pickup. Bought in the late 70s. I wish I had never modded it. :bawl: I ruined it, and would love to have it as it was. :bawl:

4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    My only electric (not counting an acoustic that plugs in) is an Aspen. And it rocks! I suppose will get a real Fender eventually, but I am loyal to my first.

Is Aspen (the company) kaput? I'm guessing so--

--Bomb

5. kentdog007

kentdog007

Jun 5, 2008
    Can you send me a pic of your aspen fender cpy? I just found/bought an aspen P-bass, can't find much info. A picture of the logo woudl be great also. can send to kentmanuel007@hotmail.com

:bassist: Thanks,

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Please post the headstock/logo and picture here, not thru email! I'd love to see it!

7. Picked up a very nice Aspen Ric copy a few years back. Only paid 250 for it, but man, with some new strings, that thing was a beast! Pretty too :)

8. kentdog007

kentdog007

Jun 5, 2008
    Made in Japan, couldn't resist this with a stand and strap for $80 USD. I am not a bass player (yet) but assembling a rig for the hells of it, looked like lots of mojo potential...:p

Attached Files:

9. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow does that ever bring back memories!!!! Mine had that same logo. Bought with paper route money in a Sam Goody in Moorestown, NJ.

10. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    wow, i actually have an old aspen, i was planning on destroying it at a gig though.

11. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    Aspen J, my 1st bass. Old and worn out when I bought it 20 some years ago. Heavily modded since (way more than it's worth)

Plywood body
    [​IMG]

Original neck and logo
    [​IMG]

12. jbcoll

jbcoll

Jun 21, 2007
    Dover, DE
    My first bass was also an Aspen Gibson EB copy that I bought for about $99 with money I made from from my first summer job in 1975. I still have it, and played it a little yesterday. Compared to my '07 Ric 4003, I can't believe I actually used it to play gigs in the early 80s - mainly college frat parties. The action is horrible and it has virtually no sustain, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

13. tubadude

tubadude Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2004
    greensboro nc
    jb: would love to see pics of your bass. Sounds exactly like the beast I had!!

14. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Bump. Anyone else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Bomb :bassist:

15. bubbag2011

bubbag2011

Apr 28, 2014
    I have an aspen sg cpy made in Japan

16. bubbag2011

bubbag2011

Apr 28, 2014
    20140428_143222.jpg

tubadude likes this.
  17. Michael Luby

Michael Luby

Oct 5, 2014
    My first bass, purchased in the summer of 1977 when I was 11, was an Aspen Fender copy exactly like the pic cdaniel posted, but without any of the mods. In 1979, I started playing a new 1978 P Bass at the music store where I was taking lessons and the store/studio owner let me use it for my lessons (a nice gesture and very shrewd promo for this bass). At the end of 79, I convinced my mother that for Christmas I should be allowed to basically empty savings account (of ~$500) to purchase the new Fender, which I did in Jan. 1980. After this, I had very little interest in the Aspen so I sold it. Wish I hadn't; it would have been fun to modify this as cdaniel did. I still have the P-Bass, played a gig with it last night

18. ChrisL13

ChrisL13

Feb 16, 2015
    My first (and only) bass, an Aspen fretless made in Japan I found when I moved into my apartment 8 years ago. The bridge pickup isn't working and it has nearly no volume. I'm looking to replace the pickups and electronics so I can get it a bit more playable. image.jpg

19. jbcoll

jbcoll

Jun 21, 2007
    Dover, DE
    Wow an old thread! After my last post in 2008, I've still got the bass, and here's a pic. IMG_0483.jpg