1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aspen Pittman RIP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by socialleper, Aug 13, 2019.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I was sad to learn that Aspen Pittman, founder of Groove Tubes, and all around tube genius, died this last weekend. Tragically, it was in a car wreck here in Santa Clarita where I live. This is the same town where Paul Walker died in an accident, and traffic related deaths are very common.
    I was lucky enough to have recorded an album in his San Fernando studio, Aspen's Place. The studio was awesome, and Aspen was a super awesome guy. He was an endless well of information, and just the sweetest guy you could ever meet.
    Having met him and listened to him talk about tubes, I personally think Groove Tubes gear doesn't get the love it deserves. The GT gear the studio had was tremendous. It was one of the only times I didn't mind being DI'ed, it was basically like running through a high end tube amp.
    I was sorry to here about Aspen's death, and the world is a less groovy place without him.
    RIP.
    FB_IMG_1565704442928.jpg FB_IMG_1565704479943.jpg FB_IMG_1565704464055.jpg

Attached Files:

nomaj, MarkA, BasturdBlaster and 5 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :(

3. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    That's sad to hear. His contribution to saving the sounds of tubes was huge. His retail channel for the products helped keep the tubes flowing instead of dying off into a trickle.

I met a guitarist with some GT made gear. He said his Trio and Dual 75 were not for sale ever.

socialleper likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Oh no! This is so sad; Aspen was an important mover & shaker in the worlds of MI and pro audio. RIP

5. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Sad news and a sad ending to a great guy's life. I play synths occasionally and was really looking into his amps/cabs a while back. Very cool stuff. A big loss. RIP

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    RIP Aspen. I learned much from his books.

jshinal likes this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    He provided an interesting and valuable perspective to tube amp design, his accomplishments reinforce his perspectives.

Passinwind and Bertr like this.
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

All life ends in death and it is amazing how suddenly and unexpectedly it can arrive!! :(

Rest in peace Aspen.

MarkA and agedhorse like this.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I remember one time needing some parts and called Aspen. He called back and talked for two hours, not about technical things, but about life in general. He was like a sponge soaking up everything and asking all the right questions.

He had a good run.

agedhorse and BassmanPaul like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I used to beef that he wrote books telling people to change their tubes way too often so he could sell more Groove Tubes, but no doubt he was very knowledgeable, built some very cool gear, and from the sound of things, kind and affable. And nobody that kind deserves to die in a horrible car accident. Didn't know him but I'm sad about it. RIP Mr. Pittman.

Passinwind likes this.
  11. That's a total shame, years ago I was a vendor to his company, I remember him calling me one time raving about some sockets we were supplying to him!
    I'll never forget another wonderful gentleman, Red Rhodes.. a tremendous steel guitar player who worked at Groove Tubes back in the day.. Sad day..

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021