1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aspiring new Bassist looking at Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SobeFunk, Jan 13, 2012.

1. SobeFunk

SobeFunk

Jan 13, 2012
    Hi, I'm Sobefunk, just made an account here because I need help at looking at basses and which bass is right for me. I'm in my second year of college (playing trumpet). I've always wanted to play bass. My influences are Jackson 5, Jamiroquai (Zender), EWF, and some other really amazing artists.

What bass guitar do you recommend? I'm not looking at a cheap bass for students, because this is something that I want to take seriously, just a good bass so I can get going for years.

Thanks,

Sobe

2. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    what is your budget?

do you care about looks?

what music has the sound you like the best on bass?

3. SobeFunk

SobeFunk

Jan 13, 2012
    100-400 US Dollars

Yes, In fact, Stuart Zender's guitar is the one I want! But I'm not sure how to get it haha

FUNK!!! I'm completely obsessed with funk, and always have been!

4. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    You could look for a Warwick Stuart Zender signature, one of the Korean models. I don't know how common they are. Otherwise you might try the Squier VM Jaguar Special. Its got P/J pickups and an active preamp like the Warwick SZ, and there is lots of love for the VM series on TalkBass right now.

Its not a bad looking bass either, and it definitely fits your budget.

5. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    well welcome aboard for the journey, I've seen Stuart play a Warwick and something that looked like a P-bass. Have you checked out the warwick rockbasses? I think you may want to head over to a music store or guitar center and see what's in your price range and what feels good on you.

6. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    a warwick streamer rockbass or dean sledgehammer may get you close and be right at the top of tour price range new, used be good deal less

7. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    +1 to the warwick streamer rockbass