assembling a band from scratch

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Slap Bass Ninja, Jan 30, 2003.

1. i'm a very decent bassist
    i have alot of energy onstage
    i don't really have the "pro" attitude because i love to muck around and have fun with band members, do drugs and stuff you know, just generally party
    but i'm willing to change
    i'm affable and friendly to most people i meet

how do i go about finding a drummer, a singer, a couple of guitarists and a keyboardist?

i want to start a band from scratch, shape it with my own direction but use the other musicians' ideas and talents to maximise the effect of the music

but i have no idea how to go about finding all these other musicians, and from scratch

any help, any help at all, will be appreciated

thankyou for your time

PS - any bassists in the central coast, nsw, australia region, interested in an avante garde two-bass project perhaps with primus influences, post your replies!
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, I think you must be on the right track. Being energetic and having fun on the stage is the half what it takes, and being nice to people helps alot.

Just remember that in band, everyone should be able to say what they want.

For finding people, see if there's sort of musicians web board in Australia, look for musicians wanted -ads at local guitar stores, search the local music magazines, go to jams and gigs.. Look everywhere, players aren't so hard to find than you'd think.
  3. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    "i want to start a band from scratch, shape it with my own direction but use the other musicians' ideas and talents to maximise the effect of the music"
    -Slap Bass Ninja

You can't tune bass strings all the same note or else they'll break. Each string requires there own seperate frequency and note value. Keep this in mind next time you tune your bass strings.

Just think about it. This will be helpful for you and anyone else.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    :confused: Did I miss something that Slap Bass Ninja edited out or was this addressing some subtext I was unaware of!!!

Regarding finding musicians, I think Tsal's ideas are spot on. It would also be worth making sure you've got a very clear idea of what you want to achieve - if you want people to follow your lead, you've got to convince them that you know where you're going and that you've got what it takes to get there.

If you haven't got a clear idea or many contacts, it might be worth trying to join an established band for a while - see how they make it work and build up contacts with local musicians while refining your vision and skills.

5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    IMHO what you need to do is to get some credibility as a musician by joining a band or by home recording before you seek out others. Also if you want to shape the direction of the band you need to write the basic forms of enough songs to start a set. These songs can show the basic vision and direction for the band's style. Find like-minded musicians by reading and placing ads in local music shops and newspapers. Look out for people where you are employed and/or educated. Pick people who play like you want them to without being told. Arrange your songs as a unit and credit people where due. He bands sound will come from everyone's ability and influences. Decide on a leadership style and make sure they all know. If you are going to run as a democracy then everyone pulls together. If you run a dictatorship then tell them up front, do all the work and foot all the bills. Everyone should want the same thing. I've been in bands that only rehearsed. I've played for people who got gigs booked before they started rehearsing.
  6. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Don't take it litteraly. I'm talking about the way slap bass ninja is trying to make the "perfect" band for his style and likings. You can't tune the band into one note, you have to tune them their own way. They have to be their own note, their own person. I swear musicians arent machines slap bass ninja, but just look around. Or maybe you cna play all the instruments yourself like one of those guys with trumpets and drums and cymbals. Just a thought.
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ah, it was a metaphor!

Unfortunately, I missed the point and thus it had all the impact of a wet sock :eek:

Wulf ;)
  8. very good points

i can't have my band all to myself, i need to share it, and yes if i'm going to have to be choosey about who i pick to come into it if i want it come even close to where i want it to go

i was just in an energetic and very self-inspired mood, naive and foolish to think i could do it by myself

perhaps what i need to do is write all the parts by myself (hard work! yuck! :p )

i'm thinking about scrapping this idea now actually, and devoting all my attention to my new Mr Bungle cover/inspired band

thanks for your help though guys