Assembling a rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Apr 7, 2003.

1. I've decided that my current amp is the work of Satan himself and I'm going to replace it this summer with a real rig. I'm thinking about a 350-400 watt head and two cabs to go with it, a 115 and either a 410 or a 4x8. Question is, which one of these cabs should I take?

Right now a 4x8 is making the best impression upon me, coupled with a 115 I should have all the bottom I need and also have some good mids. Can you reccomend any good, reliable cabs for me, preferably 4x8 or 410? They'll probably be bought used, but the types readily available here in Iceland are SWR, Ampeg, Hartke, Fender, Yorkville and Marshall.

What I'm thinking of now is trying to find an Ampeg B-2R head, a used Ampeg B2 4x8 cab and a good 115 cab. Any other suggestions?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm not sure how efficient the Ampeg 4x8 cabinet is... The B2R, while a fantastic sounding head (to my ears) is a bit weak power wise...doesn't seem to be as strong as it's ratings would suggest.

You could go all Ampeg with an Ampeg 1x15...
  3. True, always an option. But this is likely to end up as a Frankenstein rig because I'm shooting for used equipment.

This is the first time I've heard the Ampeg head is somewhat lacking, do you have any suggestions on other amps?
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Frankenstein is good...matched looks well too matched.

Perhaps the Ampeg is powerful enough for you...but when I see a bassist using one, the limiter light is always on a lot. I had the head version, SVT350H, loved the tone but it ran out of power too quickly and I went elsewhere.

If you're planning on playing loud, perhaps another Ampeg head would serve you well. I have no idea what the used gear climate is like in your area.

Good luck!!!
  5. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I was previously running an Ampeg 350H (which is electronically the same exact amp as the B2R, but with a wooden housing) through a SWR Workingman 410T and an Ampeg SVT 115; I will say that the head is a bit underpowered for my tastes...though it is getting the job done for now.

I recently replaced the two cabinet setup with a single Ampeg 410HLF -- it delivers better lowend than the SWR 410/Ampeg 115 rig and doesn't require lugging around twice as many cabs. You might want to look into the 410HLF -- I A/Bed the single 410HLF with the Ampeg 410HE + 115 together and preferred the HLF.

As far as 8" drivers go, i've only played through one cab with 8ers and wasn't too impressed...I'd stick with 10"s personally.

Just try everything you can before you buy...:D