1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Assembly cost?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesworth, May 27, 2011.

1. Jamesworth

Jamesworth

Apr 8, 2011
    So, I'm planning on purchasing a bass from Warmoth (Hardware, electronics, body, neck, pickups, everything) but I'm no good with assembly. I could probably manage to fit the bridge and tuners with some slight difficulty but electronics are not my deal.

How much would it cost for somebody (Guitarcenter, Local store) to install the electronics?

Also how much would it cost in general for somebody to install all the parts onto a pretty much (It's got a finish on it already) blank body and neck.

2. I asked around before I did mine, and was usually quoted $100-150 for a full assembly and setup. I ended up doing it myself. If the electronics are bothering you, I bought a second set of pots and caps and practiced the wiring and soldering before I touched the guitar. It all came out pretty well.

If you're intent on having someone else do it, check local stores first, or ask friends if they know how to solder and follow a basic wiring diagram. I've put a few together for a twelve-pack before, since a friend needed help.

3. Jamesworth

Jamesworth

Apr 8, 2011
    Yeah I know a friend who's good with electronics so I might have him do it. It's not the fact that I can't understand electronic diagrams it's the fact that I always balls things up when it calls for accuracy and no-screw ups.

4. The only big screw-up I did was pre-drilling the screw hole for the string retainer too big. I found a bigger screw that fit the hole and nobody ever noticed, but it scared me pretty good. I had a solid rosewood neck and putting holes in that thing was nerve wracking to say the least.

5. Jamesworth

Jamesworth

Apr 8, 2011
    Yeah I've ordered a pretty plain Maple on Maple neck. I have no idea how to install frets though so I might have that done.

6. Unless you buy a fretless neck Warmoth necks already come with the frets installed. GC would be the last place I would check to have work done on a guitar. They usually don't do it in house.

I'm sending you a PM.

7. You might update your profile to include your location, someone on here could jump in and offer to help.