Assistance Please- String Tree

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skguitarsbasses, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Hey Everybody-
    I was wondering if anybody knows of a company that sells straight bar string retainers/trees. This is an example of what I'm looking for, but for bass obviously: Custom S - headstock.jpg

I think the problem is that I don't have enough break angle behind the nut. I use a flat headstock, and have switched to gotoh tuners (which are taller), and I think this is causing the B on a 6 string to rattle. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as always.
    Thank you.

2. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
  3. Shane, I would set up and make these myself if I were you. The one you showed in the pic would be simple to duplicate if you've got a drill press. Even the arched top would be possible without much problem. The key to making this is to buy brass bar stock in the size you need like 1/8" x 1/8" and then drill and countersink the holes. Some brass tubing for height spacers and your should be cool. If you wanted to take it a step further, solder the spacers to the bar. To arch to top of the bar, tape it to a stick and run it over a belt sander a few times. Or make it even more decorative or personal and take it to an engraver and have letters put on it's face. Possibilities are boundless here.
  4. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I will look into trying to produce one myself.
    I'm sure I can find the metal to make it with,but how would you suggest putting a black finish onto it? I am not experienced at all with metal working. I'd assume that spray on krylon finish would do the trick(?)
  5. The only thing I've ever heard of to make brass black was from Bill Machrone. He did a bridge for his bass. Here's a link to his website for the details. It should get you started:

Bill Machrone's site
  6. Thank you for the informative link Hambone.
    Just a side note- The problem ended up being corrected by using more string length and windings on the tuning peg. It pushed the strings down far enough to give a good enough angle to stop the buzz. Suggestion was from my friend Doug (dep1974).