Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Assistance with ID of Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tim Ludlam, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Alright guys. Nothing real exciting here, but I have owned this bass for 5-years and I really don't know anything of its origin. I have some idea that it is probably 20th century German. I realize that this makes its origin somewhat non-distinct, but I would welcome any analysis.

This bass is 3/4 size. Body length - 44 1/4", Top bouts - 20 1/8", Waist - 15", Bottom bouts - 24 7/8", Depth - 8 1/4", String length - 42".

Viol shaped. Medium brown varnish. Spruce top with well pronounced grain, round back construction, plain grained maple back and ribs, maple scroll and wood peg tuning gears.

Thanks.

Bass Front
    Bass Back
    Bass Side
    Bass Peg Box Front
    Bass Scroll
    Bass F-hole
    Bass Button
    Bass Front Down View

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Without any info from previous opinons I would guess early 1900s (first half of the century) and Germany. I have seen a few with similar back work. The rib linings and gears (if original) 'rule-out' ANY French Connection totally. Bohemia/Czech and North Austria-South Germany have also produced similar Basses. The Bass looks too clean to be much older... IMO.....

Germany, 1900s.. a nice looking Bass...

Where do I send the Bill......lol

3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Thanks Ken. I was hoping that you would respond. I figured the bass was early to mid-1900's, but my guess is quite unqualified. I assume it is a typical German "shop" bass?

Anyway.......oops my wife is calling......I'll have to get back with on that bill thing!

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Your Guess was good. The Back has that Broken Flame type pattern which I see on alot on German Round Back Basses and very few from any other region. It IS a nice bass and as I said, I have seen a few that have that continous Purfling that is most often seen on 19th century French Basses but is also present in later period German Basses. I saw first hand a German Bass that looked French until I asked the player behind me and I was told it was German made by A. Ebner, 1903. I have seen a few others including one listed Kolsteins 'site a few years ago listed as 'Reichold' School.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That looks a lot like my bass, with the exception of the "hats" on the gears. The only label in my bass is an "Handarbeiten im Mittenwald". I was told that my bass looked to be " a factory bass from Mittenwald from between the wars".

I like my bass a LOT - big, warm projecting sound. A lot of volume.

[​IMG]

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Bass solo, Ed?

I love it when the pianist lights up a smoke at the top of the solo, like "Take yer time".

I actually do. Free reign.

PS...again, check out those hands, people...this guy was designed to play the bass.

7. How'd ya get rid of the drummer?

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Three words...JUMBO BEAN BURRITO

9. Well, obviously the drummer took the picture...

10. I usually light up a smoke and join him...... :hyper:

11. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Those are nice sounding basses, Ed. I had one for about 10 years. The same red shade, the same shape; it recorded great and had a big sound.
    I suppose you know that Scotty had a Mittenwald until it was stolen out of a car double-parked in front of a convenience store in San Francisco. That word 'Mittenwald' alone would narrow his down to about a thousand models.

12. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Ed - our basses are very similar. I never have figured out the reason for the "hats" on the gears. I guess someone thought that it was esthetic.

For some reason, I thought your bass had a flat back. Am I wrong?

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    YEah, TIMO. Roundback. And the f-holes look very similar as well.

MAKE US BEWELL - the guitar player is just out-of-frame. It was the drummer's wedding reception and instead of hiring a dance band, he put together two different groups that played kind of a concert -
    BAND A - Peter Brainen, Chris Karlic, Yoshiaki Masuo, Carlo DeRosa and the drummer Steve Jackson

BAND B - Ned Otter, Shunzo Ono, Jamie Fox, me and Steve.

But before the big presentation different configurations of us drifted up to play during dinner...