Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Assymetrical neck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Limo, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    can someone tell what are the pros and cons of assymetrical neck? I'm thinking of getting a Carvin BB75 bass and I wear my bass really low. Any comments at all would be very helpful,

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Donno about the necks, but you really shouldn't wear your bass low. Do some search on that..it's a really bad habit.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, theoretically there are a few reasons why they should be better - the thicker cross-section under the lower strings would seem to provide more direct neck support for the strings that need it, giving the lower strings better tonal qualities, in theory. it would also help with fretting the lower strings, i would assume, since there's less neck to stretch across from thumb to fingertips.

that being said, the assym necked basses that i've played didn't seem different enough than the non-assym necked basses that i've played.

ymmv.

4. I tried a Tobias a while back with an asymmetrical neck, and to be honest...I disliked it very much. I heard that they were supposedly "faster" and what not, but it really did nothing for me. I loved the bass, but I really didn't dig the neck at all.

But, like JT said, ymmv.

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Well, driving fast is a bad habit also but you don't see many ppl complaining to Mario Andretti;)

Thanks for the replies guys:)

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Are you the bass equivilant of Mario?

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I doubt that he is...but he does seem determined to go for CARpal Tunnel syndrome in his left wrist, and possibly other long-term injuries due to improper posture.

Hanging bass real low is the equivalent of driving into a wall. You KNOW you will crash, only question is...how fast are you getting there? And yeah, if I saw Mario Andretti driving into a wall, I'd warn him if I could.

8. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Well,

I've got a Carvin LB75P with the assymetrical neck and I love it. I'm also about to take delivery of a Tobias MTD535 with an assymetrical neck, and to me, his necks feel very similar to my Carvin's. On the other hand, I have an Ibanez with a regular neck, and although it's comfortable, it just doesn't "feel" quite right in my hand. I actually had a different reason for ordering my Carvin that way though. I wanted wider string spacing, and the assymetrical neck option gave me that. In fact, it has the same spacing as the BB75.

I've heard others mention that they dislike the assymetrical neck because they prefer to feel "more meat" in their left hand, and that particular profile doesn't provide that. Like I said though, I love em'. I have medium sized hands and rather short fingers, and that might have something to do with it.

As always though, it's best to try before you buy, but we all know that's not always possible.

Anyway, ..hope ths helps some....

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree - as long as it's not too thick, front to back - like Warwicks - then I don't mind.

But having said that - my pre-Gibson Tobias has a fantastic neck and is the best I ever played - from the first moment I picked it up in the shop and played it, I knew it was the best neck I'd ever played.

But before that, I'd played a load of other, later Tobiases and didn't notice much difference. I can only assume that on a hand-made instrument you can really get it just right - so it feels perfect under your hands, but that this is harder to do on mass-produced, factory-made instruments?

10. I love asymmetrical necks, but the bass side has to be very thick. I don't like the MTD Kingston/Beast/Heir/Grendel necks because of their thinness, but the Gibson-era Tobiases were great--and my FBB 5-string is just about perfect.

I can't tell you about the Carvin. Anyhow, raise your bass.

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Guys, the rock band I'm in does'n require many bass solos or scales so I wear it low enough so I can play and look good (the rock image) but when I do studio and live session work I wear my bass so I can play whatever I want (the middle of the hip and the breast) the CTS is exactly what I'm worrying about so I would wear my bass higher if it would be any strain of the wrist, but I think we shouldn't have any prejudice towards people who wear their bass low. If people feel good while playing it doesn't matter what, how or where they play:)

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    How does one become a bass equivilant of Mario??;)

13. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I don't think its' a prejudice at all. It's more along the lines of concern for your health. As far as necks are concerned. What feels good to you? I personally don’t think that an assym neck will improve your speed/playing at all.
    Now back to the posture thing. If you wear you bass really low cause it looks cool. How cool will it look when your doctor bills come in? I never wore my bass low, but for years I’ve damaged my ears with lots of unnecessary high volumes because it was cool. Now I have tinnitus and wish I had protected myself more. Trust me; there is nothing cool about a constant loud high-pitched ringing in your ears......Nothing at all:oops:

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I always wear earplugs with no exceptions. Although you don't have prejudice towards people wearing basses low (by the way I apreciate your input on this matter, tinnitus is something we should talk about) many people do because they think punk rockers and metal heads can't play, I'm not pointing finger at anybody and I'm not saying any of the guys who replied have prejudice but I think making music is more about feeling good then teqhinue for example. After all being a musician is being an entertainer for the audience so if I can please people with one note as much as bass geniuses such as our very own John Turner do with all their great bass solos and chops I think I got my work done. IMHO this is what I think music is all about (trans: about=aboot for you Canadian guys) ;) :)

...... as I said I agree with you guys both on the CTS and the tinnitus issue:)

15. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Ahhh. The life of an entertainer:D

16. Uuuh...
    How did we get from asymmetrical necks to CTS to tinnitus to prejudices to what "music" means to us?

I have things to say on the matter of music and entertainment, but really now...that's not something for the "technique" forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.