1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aston "Familyman" Barrett's new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve9000gi, Aug 28, 2007.

1. I saw the Wailers again the other night: best they've sounded in years. But what is that new bass? He used to always play a sunburst Jazz, but now he's using some kind of natural finish boutique bass with what looked like a triangular headstock. Sounded killer.

-Steve

2. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    An Alembic maybe? I have seen him with one before

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Dunno, I'll see if I can find some recent pictures. I can remember seeing some from the '80s or '90s with a natural bass, maybe it's the same one? I can't remember what it was, though.

He'd been playing a passive white Jazz quite a lot the last few years, too. I like the way it sounds live better than the S/B deluxe he had been playing previously, based on seeing him quite a few times with both.

4. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    +1

Triangle headstock sounds like Alembic to me as well.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Found this image doing a Yahoo Images search.
    * Natural finish? Check.
    * Triangular headstock? Check.
    * Alembic? Nope.
    * Do I know what it is? Clueless.

470304204_b6baa6aed2.

Peace,

James

6. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    That's not an Alembic, it's a Hohner.....

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Yup - a Hohner 'B Bass', to be exact...

A bit of a suprising choice for Family Man, IMHO...:meh:

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I saw him in July and thought at first he was playing an Alembic, but upon looking more closly, decided it wasn't. It has jazz style pickups and the headstock didn't have the Alembic tree on the top. However, he had the most massively lowend bass sound I've heard in a long time!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If he sounds good, why is it a surprising choice? One nice thing about being a legend is that you don't need "cool" gear to impress folks.:cool:

10. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I take my 18 X 50 image stabilized binoculars when I go to concerts. I can read the LCD settings on rack gear.

11. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    C'mon, Cheese - If you saw Marcus Miller playing a BC Rich Warlock (regardless of the tone coming out of it), wouldn't you find that....well, suprising? I know the example I used is a bit extreme, but you get the idea. :D

All I was saying is that he's played a Jazz for decades, so it's a bit of a shock to see him on something new, let alone a Hohner.

But, hey - if his tone is still righteous, then it's 'irie' by me! :bassist:

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You have a fair point, although if you read MM's website, he admits to having bought a BC Rich once.:D

13. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    The Bernard Edwards story, right? Yeah, that's a great one!

Maybe the BC Rich reference wasn't such a great one on my part, then...:rolleyes: :D

14. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    it might just be a super light bass that sound good.

15. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Yup...Hohner B Bass....a pretty nice bass for the buck. I used to have one...Neck through...steinberg bridge....I got mine for 200 bucks used....

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Just goes to show that the player is more important than the instrument!

No dis intended towards Hohner. IIRC, Jojo Garza of Los Lonely Boys also plays one.

17. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    LoL! I bought a neck-through hohner 6 string for like 600bucks.
    It actually has a great sound with tomastik-jazz flats, but the neck really fights back!

Plus, when it's active mode it has a red LED. LoL.
    Anyone wanna buy it?

18. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Quick update -

Just got the new 'Bass Player' in the mail yesterday, with a cover story on Family Man (yeah!).

Interestingly enough, the cover photo (along with all photos inside, both recent & older) have him playing a Jazz (a SWEET one at that!), but in the 'Current Gear' section it lists the Hohner (strung with Fender flats)!

Strange that he would choose to take all his pics for the article with a Jazz even though he is playing a Hohner live now, don't ya think?

Just stirring the pot... :D

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

He rocks no matter what he plays.

Listen to the bass line on Stir It Up. Some of the funkiest stuff ever written. I love playing that tune!

20. I agree. His bass lines have an almost hypnotic quality with a deep reservoir of soul, imagination, and earthiness.

DrThumpenstein likes this.