Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Astor piazzola

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Leco reis, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I am trying to plai an Astor piazzola tango called Tanguedia III
    there is one section that the bass player bows a F note slides the note and hits the bass like a percursion next beat.
    Any body have seen how is done?
    which hand he hits the bass? right or left hand?
    thanks
    Leco

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I'm no expert on this, but it sounds similar to something I saw Pedro Giraudo do a few weeks ago.

If you're talking about the section that starts 3:21 into the song, I believe he is hitting the back of the bass with his left hand. That would require a pretty fast left arm though. You could try emailing Pedro, or Pablo Aslan. They could give a definite answer.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Oh that sounds cool! But I wouldn't reach all the way around the back of the bass I'd just drop my hand off the fingerboard on the way up and let it get stopped by the table

I don't know exactly what I would do if I was going down to the scroll maybe bang my head on the neck or something and roar LOL

But yeah what do the pros do?

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I was sitting almost directly in front of Pedro, so I couldn't see the back of his bass, but it looked like he was reaching his left arm down towards the middle of the bass. I'm going to experiment using different parts of the hand. The Piazzolla recording sounds like a firm tap with the fingertips to me. It has a deeper sound than the palm, but a harder attack than the outside of the hand. Just a guess. Make sure your fingernails are trimmed. ;)