Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Astral Weeks

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by boombloom, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Wow. Great bass. Just awesome.

2. Beautiful playing. I wonder how this sort of thing ever came into being. For those not in the know, Astral Weeks is a great, great Van Morrison album with stellar musicianship. I commented here because the bass playing (upright) is so elegant. A quick search of talk bass forums shows that this album has been mentioned before.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I like Van. Lot of great musicians went through that band. Connie Kay was the drummer on "Astral Weeks".

4. I have no idea what you guys are talking about!
    This thread just comes outta nowhere..... :confused:

5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Richard Davis' playing is great. Always diverse and super nice guy.

-Matt

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    :)

They're talking 'bout this

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually the only member of Van's band to play on Astral Weeks was John Payne and he had to beg the producer to be allowed to play.

Years later when asked about the session Richard Davis couldn't even remember doing it. For those guys it was another day in the studio backing up some rock and roller getting "sensitive". That makes the final result even more amazing in my view.

My favorite tune is the shortest, Slim Slow Slider which is just a blues but Richard plays some real cool stuff on that one. John Payne has said that the original recording of that tune lasted over 15 minutes but they edited out the entire jam (you can hear them start into it on the fadeout).

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Van Morrison has always had really good bands when I've seen him live - last time I saw him in Brighton, he had a great horn section lead by Pee Wee Ellis, Georgie Fame on keyboards and loads of other great musicians!

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Another one is Mark Isham, who knows his way around the trumpet pretty well (though it's hard to tell on some of his New Agey recordings).

10. I was just enjoying the album and thought I'd comment. That bass playing is wonderful. Where did you hear that story about Davis not remembering the session?

There's so much going on here--strings, guitar, flute, all those vocals. Layer upon layer. It's like several albums playing at once, but so elegant. But let's stick to the bass content. It's got great bass playing.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes he was in the band I saw - lots of great horn solos, between him and Pee Wee Ellis, who studied with Sonny Rollins, of course!

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/articles/wojb0900.htm

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    He also appears on a cut on Bruce Springsteen's "Born to run" LP

http://www.marcogiunco.com/dischi2/001505.htm

Ditto on him being a nice guy! (contacted him once through email)