Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Astrology

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a thread to discuss your expirence and understanding of Astrology.I have a pretty limited understanding of it so if anyone could shed some light on it :p i would appreciate it.Thanks

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I see it as another one of those "casting the net" type things. -- fortune cookie.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The study of asses?

4. My experience is that astrology is vague enough to apply to virtually everyone's life at some particular point in time and shouldn't be used as a credible source of guidance. Of course some personally believe that astrology is true, or at least use it as a guide to make decisions about whatever. I remember my friend telling me about the horoscopes he would read every day, funny stuff. For example, "you will find fortune and comfort in a new acquaintance, while another will begin to drift away". It certainly did apply to him at the time. But I think that can apply to 99% of us right now. Anyone can extrapolate it to apply to themselves. Of course newspaper astrology probably isn't the same as true astrology, but you get the picture!

5. scottz0369

scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    It depends on what you want know and why you want to know. Check out some of the Christian responses to astrology on the internet, ask your teachers in Seminary, read the Scriptures yourself and form your opinion.
    The bottom line is that you'll find many different interpretations of what the Bible says about astrology.

Here's a "pro" position: http://home.istar.ca/~starman/astrology-bible.shtml

Here's a "con": http://www.advweb.com/kw/misc/misc/kw_astr.txt.html

While the Catholic Church flat out condemns it: http://www.catholic.com/library/Astrology.asp

There's lots more out there-those are only 3 examples.

I think if you want to watch the stars to reflect on the beauty and intricacy of creation, and the power of the Creator, you're on level theological ground, whereas, if you want to use astrology to divine the future, your getting onto thin ice, as a Christian.
    That's just my 2 cents on this subject. I recommend you talk to many more people before you throw your chips in a pile on this one.

Scott

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think sun signs are pretty reasonable. Naturally most astrology material is 90% 'what you want to hear', but still, I don't think it's too unreasonable to say that people born at different times of the year may be more likely to exhibit certain traits. Regardless of the accuracy of individual analysis or assessment. I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that most of my best friends were born around the summer time, or that my best girlfriends were highly compatible astrologically. But I don't put too much stock in it on a whole.

Predicting the future or your day or guiding your actions is complete hooey though.

Astrology is vague enough and it tells you more or less, stuff you'd like to hear, that we can fill in the blanks for the rest and make the connections ourselves. That doesn't exactly invalidate it though, since, despite being fairly vague at times, it's not always so, and the information it does examine is usually pretty good at painting a broad picture of how people are likely to be based on when they were born.

I would never NOT be someone's friend solely because they were a dodgy astrological sign, verily, I do have a couple of really close friends who are completely opposing astrologically from me, but we get along beautifully. I would also never let astrology guide me in friendships or relationships.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

how is that reasonable?

some of the stuff you listed seems more like sampling error to me. :meh:

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The technical term is "observational selection", i.e. counting the hits, and forgetting the misses.

(...no offense, WR!!!)

For some interesting reading on the subject, I recommend some Carl Sagan, or bettery yet, James "The Amazing" Randi. I just LOVE James Randi, he is a genius at exposing hoodwinkers, and embarassing them.

Everone needs one of these handy as well!

:)

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh, I don't really believe in astrology, it just doesn't seem to far fetched to me to suggest that people born at different times in the year may potentially be more inclined to have certain traits here and there. Even then, I don't think it'd be anything you could really quantify or whatever. Shrug.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It's BS, same category as mystery cures, tarrot, handreading, etc etc. If it's genuine, why do Chinese astrologists other constellations with different -qualities- for the same stars? If it were genuine, Orion would have the same effect on everyone across the globe, it doens't, so kiss astrology goodbye.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the Feedback Guys. :)

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Many years ago I took an intro to astronomy class in college. Naturally it was mentioned that astrology was not scientific in any way shape or form... but it was also mentioned that more professional athletes than average were born in the house of Mars (or something like that)... the percentage increase was statistically significant. I don't recall the survey or if it's been debunked over the past 20-odd years, but it was a neat factoid.

13. I'm not sure, but I think the difference is that western astrology is based on a "sun calendar" and eastern astrology on a "lunar calendar". For example, if you read the Chinese Hororscope @ any Chinese restaurant, I'm a "snake" based on the year I was born. But if you actually look up the date I was born, I'm a "dragon", because the Chinese New Year falls at a different time than with the Sun Calendar.

I think it can be fun to look up stuff for my friends and say "this is just like you!", but I don't think it's actually accurate or any thing.

14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yay, i learned a new term! :hyper:

sampling error is a statistical phenomenon--the fewer samples taken, the more skewed the results are.

for example, flip a coin once. you'd be lead to believe that this process gives you a 100 percent chance of getting heads, say. (pun intended.) flip it 10,000 times and you'd get pretty durn close to 50 percent heads and 50 percent tails.

and, without doubting the actual number of mr. robot's friends, it may not quite be enough for the sampling error effects to be removed.

now to click on that link! :hyper:

15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hey, waddayaknow, gard:

16. I highly recommend Carl Sagan's book entitled: The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. It is all about critical thinking and learning to apply the scientific method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World

The notion that the position and motions of distant celestial bodies have any measurable effect on us is not scientifically defensible.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    "I don't know how many of you believe in astrology...." - Jim Morrison. ;)

I wish that wench Sylvia Browne would take Randi up on his challenge. I want to slap the crap outta her everytime I see her on Montel Williams trying to disperse medical advice to people.

18. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Astrology has been around since the first temple priests. In fact the way to become a temple priest in Cairo, Jerusalem or Babylon was to predict eclipses and make a working calendar. The predictions of human behavior (what we consider astrology) were an additional source of personal power (free of charge)

Fast forward to the 16th century. For 1000 years, the church suppressed astrology in Europe. But with the rennaisance, villiages started listening to their resident astrologers (usually an old lady who would entertain at dinner parties). This developed into a major form of parlor entertainment by the 18th century for the cafe society, and then (gasp) developed into articles of belief as people wrote books about it (usually for the money).

Currently in the US, there are around 2000 professional astronomers, and 10,000 professional astrologers. I guess the money is still in the astrology. :D

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That is PRECISELY the book I would suggest to anyone interested in actually learning something on the subject. Excellent book, I make it a point to re-read it every couple of years.

The "baloney detection kit" came from that book, everyone should learn it and live it.