Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Asus2/C#

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by zentrist, Jan 7, 2002.

1. zentrist

zentrist

Jan 7, 2002
    I'm just learning music and the above chord notation is confusing to me. If Asus2 means that the A chord is A-B-E (instead of A-C#-E), what happens when C# is moved to the bass note?

2. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    You're right, Zentrist. By definition, a 3rd (C#) should be replaced by the B in the Asus2 chord. My only thought is that the musical ear usually wants to resolve the sus2 and sus4 chords to their normal state (i.e. the 3rd then being played). The C# may be a note you can play after the Asus2 chord has finished.

Typically, bassists should play the note shown to the right of the slash. It may work out fine when you get the guitar and bass together and play the chord progression as written. It's hard to know since we don't know what chords are surrounding this Asus2/C#. But I think the B and C# played together in this chord would probably clash.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Probably not, since the B is the 9th of the chord.

However, what we're probably looking at here is more of a suggested voicing of the intended chord.

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    what happens is that you get some tension, which may actually be a pretty cool effect.

if i remember correctly, in the who's tommy there is a Bbsus with d in the bass ("Bbsus/D"), where the Eb and the D are conflicting. but it works.
    they also play a Fsus/A (Bb vs A).

the whole thing depends on the desired effect, the voicing of the chord that is played above the bass.

rules are there to be broken ;)

----------------------

and i just read pacman's replay and that's what i meant with voicing... i'm not sure on this, but i think the the Asus2/C# can be interpreted as an A9 with the 3rd moved to the bass (2nd inversion?) that should be voiced with the 9th as a second, creating more of a "cluster"-sound.

ok. that wasn't all that understandable, was it?

5. chris h, when you say Fsus, or Bbsus, how do you know what the sus is? I mean, couldn't it be a 2nd or 4th?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think that BLINKY is dead on here. Take it to the piano - that's a great sounding voicing.... sounds like something from Steely Dan's intro to "Your Gold Teeth II".

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I just tried ABE with C# in the bass on piano and it sounds very nice - no tension or "clashing".

The tension would come if you introduced a C natural instead.

8. zentrist

zentrist

Jan 7, 2002
    I tried the A-B-E with C# note in bass on the keyboard and it sounded fine. It also sounded good when I played bass (just a few root notes) along with Steely Dan's "Any Major Dude" and used the C#. Thanks for everyone's help.

9. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    ThePaste, i think that if it's just the "sus" (as in Fsus or Bbsus) written, the 4th is implied.
    otherwise it would have been written as sus2.
    so basically sus = sus4. or at least it has been like this in all the music that i've seen until now.

10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    if you introduced the c natural you would only change the a major to an a minor.
    and then it's up to your ears, i like the c better than the c#. go, minor, go! ;)