Asymetric Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am thinking of ordering a new 6-string fretless Carvin Icon series. I have never owned a six string before, let alone a fretelss so I am going to hvae to get used to it. One thing I have been considering, however, is the asymetric neck option. Does this make a wider neck, such as the six string, more comfortable? Also does it have any effect on playability, or how fatigued your hands become?
  2. The asymetric neck is only available on the 5 string model. I really like it and prefer it to the standard 5 string neck. The wider spacing fits my hand nicely and makes slapping easier.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

An asymmetric neck profile is noticeably more comfortable to my hands. That translates into better playability and less fatigue.

I don't go out of my way to select basses that have an asymmetric profile. But if given the choice, as Carvin does (props to them!), I would always opt for the asymmetric profile.

Now, your opinion might well differ from mine. This isn't a matter of better or worse overall, but simply what's better for each individual.
  4. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have owned a Carvin LB75 for more than a dozen years. I like the neck. No problems whatsoever. Then, last year, I bought an MTD Kingston 5-stringer with the asymetrical neck.

The asymetrical neck gets wider (than the symetrical) as you get farther up the fretboard. While that sounds a little odd, it is actually very comfortable. It is hard to explain, so you really should just make a trip to a music store and try one. Your hand just falls into the proper position. While my MTD can't compete with my Alembic, it does IMHO have the best neck of all my basses. My future purchases will have the asymetrical neck if available.