Asymmetrical Neck (Carvin LB75)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mjw, Aug 11, 2001.

1. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

I'm considering ordering a Carvin LB75 and have a question about asymmetrical necks.

I have relativly small hands and short fingers, and I'm wondering if this would be a good option for me. Since I haven't been able to find a used one anywhere to gauge the feel, I figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks!

2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm thinking it might help you to have the asymmetrical neck. I have another 5 string (not a Carvin) with an asymmetrical neck, and the difference in profile is not as noticeable as one might think when compared to a standard neck.

The amount of wood that is shaved from the neck is actually slight, but just enough that it might make a difference. I have large hands, so it's hard for me to notice the difference between necks in this respect.

All in all though, if you're concerned about your fingers and hands, I would think that less wood on the back of the neck could help out. Hopefully some others can offer some input here. I do play an LB75 though, but not with the neck you asked about. I will say that regardless of what you go with, Carvin makes a wonderfully playable neck.

Good luck! :)
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Don't forget, the Carvin assymmetical neck option goes along with wider string spacing at the bridge than the regular Carvin 5. If you like wide spacing for your right hand technique (say, if you slap), the assymmetric contour will make the neck feel slimmer than it would without it, but not necessarily any slimmer than the regular Carvin neck.

I've played both Carvin necks, but not next to each other, and it was a long while ago, so I can't really tell you how they compare beyond looking at the specs.

4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    what is an asymmetrical neck anyway??
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A neck where the back of the neck is tapered towards the G string side (or whatever your highest strings are) making it easier to reach around and fret. So the neck is thicker on the E side and thinner on the G side, hence not symmetrical.

AFAIK Mike Tobias first did this on electric bass in the late 70's. I have one and it's extremely easy to play
  6. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had a LB75 with an asymetrical neck. It's slimmer towards the G string and wider. It's not like some of your wide neck basses produced by Warwick. It's just enough width to uncrowd your fingers, and the slimmer neck makes it easier to play with smaller hands. I think it will be OK for you, but I would characterize my hands as average. Take a look at the basses they have in stock, find one with a wide neck, order it, and play it for the 10 days to make sure.