At a crossroad

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Jace The Bass, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Hi Mike
    Anyway I wanted to ask this question which has me at a crossroad ( ala the movie ) Its about reading in treble clef I'm very good at reading bass clef and can play almost any piece sightread so here's the dilema my friend told me to read in treble clef because you would be in even higher demand so I delicated some time in my daily practice to strictly read in treble clef ( Painfully slow but gradually getting better ) so now when I do a gig which involves reading in bass clef I'm starting to make mistakes ie reading some notes in treble instead of reading in bass clef this is making me stress out because before when I didnt give time to treble clef I was doin fine.
    Finally here's my question should I continue with reading in treble or should I give up all together on the idea and continue as I was doin before
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    Oh forgive my spelling if any

Cheers Jace
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I've been there (actually I still am) Since I do a lot of solo bass and melody playing, I have become pretty proficient at sight reading treble clef (much to the compromise of my bass clef reading). I guess the real deal is that you need to prioritize which skill you need more. If being able to sight read bass and "get by" reading treble clef is the most important thing than that's what you should do - for most players, I think that is the answer. Rededicate yourself to sight reading bass but keep in touch with the treble clef. Not so much to sight read, but perhaps to be able to figure something out pretty quickly. Then, if you want, start to add in more treble clef reading AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT interfere with the real skills that you need.

Hope this puts some perspective on things.

3. That seems to make sense cool once again thanks I knew I could count on you for some excellent advice :hyper:
    Anyway I'll probably get stuck in another rut and will bother you again hopefully not to soon anyway cherrio and

HAPPY PRACTICING :bassist: