1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

At a loss...MM content (please TB'ers... HELP!)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jsirish, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jsirish

jsirish

Aug 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Short version... I wanted to build my own passive, dual MM bass and see what it would do. Problem is, now that everything is done except the wiring, I'm not really sure how to get the most out of the dual MM's and still have only 3 knobs in a passive setting. I am not open to using a pre, so these will remain passive. Please, TB'ers, tell me what my options are for wiring these, and I will even take schematics if available. I am dying to play this thing, so help me out! I checked out all of the MM wiring diagrams, and for some reason it's just not clicking. BTW, one of the MM's is from our own illustrious John Worrell! Like I said, I am dying to play this thing...

2. If I were you I'd do VVT with a series/parallel switch(built into the volume pots)for each pickup. Plenty of flexibility.

3. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    depends on the sounds you want. On mine I like the raw growly sound of the neck humbucker in single coil mode and coils 1 & 4 in parallel. so I have DPDT on/on/on switches wired to each pickup

4. A 5 way switch to use the standard EB HH configuration would open up a whole new world of versatility.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    A 5 way, or a mini toggle for each pickup allowing series/single/parallel.

OR, a shared mini toggle allowing inner coils/outer coils/series (this is what I do).

6. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Like the above posters said, a switch will get the most options out of the pickups but if you want to stick with just 3 knobs then really your options I think are V/V/T or V/Blend/T.

Then the decision would be whether to wire the pickups in Series or Parallel. If you want the classic Ray sound then the bridge needs to be in Parallel.

7. jsirish

jsirish

Aug 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for all the help, friends! Going to be V/V/T with series/ parallel push-pull's on the two vol knobs... now, anyone know where I can get this exact wiring diagram??:help:

8. PM line6man. He'll hook you up with a nice drawing if you ask.