Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AT COST

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by register2, Nov 12, 2004.

1. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Any body know how much a Fender American Series or American Reissue P-Bass would be if you got it at cost, like as an employee of a guitar store? Or a Stingray? Thanks.

On an unrelated note: what does koa sound like? Compared to alder, for instance.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I use to work for G C.
    Employe discount was 25%.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    As a generic sort of rule, the dealer cost is half of the MSRP, or "list" price. Dealers usually take around 30% off of list as a street price, sometimes adjusted to round up or down.

Bigger dealer orders can result in lower dealer cost per unit. If Guitar Center orders 500 MIM P Basses, the dealer cost to GC will probably be less for them than it is to a small dealer who only orders 6 of them.

Higher ticket items from small manufacturers have less of a dealer discount in many cases.

4. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Thank you for your informative and comprehensive response, Mr. Pad. Your field of excellence award seems well earned.

5. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I also completely missed your response Mr. Mojo, which was very credible and also informative. I sincerely hope that you receive an award for excellence at some point in the near future.

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Fender's prices are almost always 50% of List price. I still have a price list around somewhere, but it's last year's.

However, it is a grand misconception that employees of music stores get stuff at cost. It almost never happens; you have to factor in other costs (shipping, credit charges, etc.) - usually the chains have an employee discount, and it depends on how long you've been there in some cases.

However, Fender DOES have a great salesperson appreciation program; if you work for a Fender dealer, sales of Fender products can earn you points towards free Fender products. That's how I came to own a Tele AND a Toronado. :)

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Depends on the dealer discount. Agreed, I'm pretty sure Fender is all "A" list (50% of MSRP), except for maybe the custom shop stuff, but when you get into the non-mass produced stuff, things change a lot... even within a single brand you also see "B" and "C" list stuff. I THINK B is 67% and C is 75% (of MSRP).

8. GregBreshears

GregBreshears Commercial User

Jun 6, 2002
    Independence, MO
    Owner: Greg Breshears Guitarworks
    When I was at Mars they let us buy stuff for cost + 6%. which was pretty good, but we could buy stuff direct from fender at cost...some items even a bit below cost if you know the right people there.

Greg

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've known a few dealer employees, and I've also seen a sorta' standard being cost+10% (where "cost" included applicable shipping).

The other thing I know about, which is specific to Fender is "Fender bucks". Any dealer salesperson that sells a Fender gets a certain number of these. Once enough are accumulated, you can use them to buy any Fender product direct from the factory. This becomes "incentive pay" for Fender dealership salespeople, and I know one guy who's gotten some pretty sweet gear with it.

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Anyone who knows how I can get a Euro 4 at "cost", please let me know.....oh, and Ampegs, definitely Ampegs!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Alot of the Czech Spector's I bought & got at great prices because I worked at a Music store. 50+15 is a SWEET DEAL!!!!!

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My brother knows a guy who has a Spector endorsement. In fact, he's on the website. If you go to the second page of the artists endorsement, he's there. His name is Kory Prince and I'm trying to see if my bro can sweet talk him into getting me one at his price. :D