1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

At ends with my SB-1

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by etrock, Feb 20, 2008.

1. etrock

etrock

Feb 20, 2008
    Hello TalkBass,

This is my first post after a long time lurking through all the forums for all sorts of useful info but the reason I am posting is that I have almost had it with the feel of the G&L standard bridge on my used SB-1. :meh:

No matter what strings I put on the bass the strings feel really stiff I think the standard G&L bridge is to blame. Does anyone else feel the same?

So should I scope out for a replacement bridge or third party bridge?

Thanks!

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    What do you mean "stiff"? On any 34" scale bass I have tried the same strings on, once properly intonated, they pluck the same. :confused:

Jim

3. etrock

etrock

Feb 20, 2008
    Maybe Im just crazy but I have played many basses with the traditional fender style bridge and the strings on my SB-1 seem harder to play fingerstyle. I just assume that the mass of the bridge may have something to do with it but Im not certain.

4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Sorry, its not the bridge. Try strings with a lower tension. The daddario and other sites have such information.

5. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    the tension is in the strings themselves. the bridge anchors and supports the end of the string -- er, dare i say it "lifts and separates?" :)

i've had stiff strings on my basses, such as D'addario Chromes that made my fingers hurt because they were so stiff. I mainly use TI strings now. They're fairly low tension and sound great.

hth.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    SIT powerwound nickels used to be the stock string.
    DA EXL 170's are stock now.
    Both are moderate tension rounds.
    TI Jazz flats sound great, and are very low tension.

It taint the bridge, it's your strings.

You might try calliong the fine folks at www.juststrings.com and talk to them. They'll probably have several good low tension recommnedations fer ya.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Yep, the core size of the string has the most to do with tension. The only way the bridge can effect percieved tension, is if the saddles are set too high.

8. etrock

etrock

Feb 20, 2008
    Alright thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

9. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I have TI Jazz Flats on my SB1..... the darn thing gives me a chubby everytime I play it! Super low tension, and it sounds so funky! I love it.

Ljazz

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    sounds like some setup work is in order ...

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    OK, here's another idea, and one I think I'll try next time I'm bored:
    pull the jazz pickup and stuff an MFD 'bucker in there, ala L2000.

Brad-bdgotoh-did this, and I somehow didn't buy that bass when it was f/s.
    Obviously, the MFD bucker will hold it's own.
    This also opens lots of coil tap possibilities, like series and parallel for the neck Precision MFD bucker, and the L2000 bridge bucker...which you could set up like an L1000 with the bass boost.

Yeaaahhhh, that's the ticket.
    I'm gonna get with GuitarMatt and order me up an MFD bucker.
    Do some routing on a rainy day.
    It's only a tribute SB2, it won't really hurt it's value.

12. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Chef... did you just say P + MFD bucker on an SB-2? In the same sentence. I suppose that would do away with any issues about the so-called "weak" pickup in the bridge position.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yes, I did...but I stole that idea from Brad, aka bdgotoh here.
    It's been done, and it works well.

14. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds like a nice option. That means I need three more Tribute SB-2s; one to defret, one to wear flatwounds, and one to hotrod the pickups. :smug:

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    They're cheap;)

16. To the OP...

As mentioned, you just need a good setup, and not by anyone who says you need a new bridge.