1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

At home practice routine

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Juniorkimbrough, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Justin, as I've said before I love this forum...you rock for coming on here to frequently answering questions and just shooting the sh*t with us.

To my question.....

Do you have some sort of practice routine that you do when either learning new material for a new gig or just plain old practicing. For example, in what environment do you put yourself in. Do you just sit down in front of you computer and start learning while jotting down notes? Do you sit in your studio while practicing? Do you find drinking green tea or coffee helps you focus more or are there any other things you do to prepare you mentally to be focused and absorb as much as possible. Stuff like turn the cell phone and tv off, light some candles or incense or anything that really chills you out to get in the mindset?

Also do you prefer to practice to a track through headphones, playing through an amp or do you just play through your studio monitors?

Practicing on my own is really something I enjoy to improve my ear and my chops but I find sometimes I easily get in the groove and can sit down for a few hours and really get into the right mindset whereas other times I just have a hard time focusing on the task at hand.

Thanks again!