At last...bass pictures!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Doug Ring, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Hello fellow dark-siders.

I've had my bass since April and have been posting on this site, but it's taken this long to get pictures of it organised. Digital camera, Santa?

I've played bass guitar for 30 years but increasingly have been involved lately in acoustic music. A cash bonus for having completed 25 years with my employer allowed me to buy this. It's Chinese made and carries the name "Westbury" inside. It's fully carved, the top is spruce and the back and ribs are maple. The pictures don't show off the grain very well, but she looks lovely. The tailpiece is boxwood, the fingerboard ebony. I had an adjustable bridge fitted and she's strung with Spirocore Weichs.

I don't play arco at all (don't have a bow yet), but the pizz sound is very nice - not as loud as some but great sustain and a lovely singing "mwah" sound. You can get a great growl from the E-string, although it's a bit weaker in volume than I'd like and I may substitute a heavier E one day. But loving it so far!

Attached Files:

2. What a great way to spend your bonus !
    Looks like a nice bass Doug, good luck.
    From one long time slab player to another . . get ye some sheet music and a bow and do the arco thing. What a difference ! You'll love it !
    Are you going to retire now to spend all your time with your baby ! ? :D
  3. Congratulations Doug....looks great man!
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Nice one, Doug! I like the boxwood. Looks like those lovely shoulders would make the occasional visit to thumb position easy.
  5. Hi Marcus, I wasn't sure about the boxwood at first because the first time I saw her she wasn't set up with strings - just the body. I was expecting an ebony tailpiece after the shop's luthier had done the set up, just because that's sort of traditional thing to have, so it was a surprise to see the boxwood. But I've grown to like it.

You're right about the shoulders - you can really get hunched over - but occasional thumb position is the best description...very occasional for me! Very much a beginner and finding none of my bass guitar chops any help, really.