At last... I am a Fender owner.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Apr 8, 2005.

1. It's a pretty blue Precision. Got it used through the Washington City Paper classifieds. It's got its share of dings, but as you can see from the pics, no glaring ugliness from a distance.

The playability is more clumsy in every way than my Reverend, but one reason I bought this bass is that I wanted some variety, and I can really dig in on this baby. Plus, the tone's classic.

bonus: the previous owner put Dunlop straplocks on it, saving me a little cash. :)

Aside from two crappy beginner-ish basses I own, I now have the start of a nice little family!

edit: forgot to say, it's a '97 MIA
  2. Pretty bass. I think that that's Daphne Blue? I could be wrong.
  3. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Very pretty blue. What model is the p bass? How much did you pay. Tell all. You can't come here and merely show your toy without spilling it all.
    What's wrong with it?
    Why is it awesome?
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So indie it hurts.
  5. you ain't even seen my hoodie with mini-buttons.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nice bass. Fender Precisions are the Godliest of all basses ;)
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Great choice IMHO. :cool: I really like the blue finish.

Careful, it may become your main bass!

The P-Bass is my personal favorite, what a tone.

- Art
  8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    your precision is nice, but Uma is nicer.
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I just spec'ed out a Valenti like that but in a 5 string and with matching headstock and Tort guard!

That is a killer color! (Sonic Blue I think... but Daphne is close)
  10. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Probably not - not with that Reverend sitting there.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice. I like the color a lot.
  12. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    My condolences. :bag:
  13. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Except for his Kill Bill poster. :p
  15. That's been exactly my experience since I got my '88 MIJ Precision last month. After five minutes on that thing, I go running back to the Rumblefish so my fretting hand doesn't turn into a gnarled claw! But, the P-tone is awesome.
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hey that's "Sonic Blue", the same color as my MIA Jazz V from the same year. Beautiful color! We'll have to comare them next time there's a NoVA GTG. Pretty!! Watch out, that big fat P tone is pretty addictive, particularly in a band situation.
  17. :cool: "Gnarled claw"?????

Man, after playing P-Basses for 40+ years, I guess I shouldn't even have a hand left. But, strangely, I do.

I've never been able to understand just what people are talking about when they complain about Fender P-Bass necks. I started on P-Bass "C" width necks ('62) and later switched to "B" width necks. I love the B width and don't own a C width anymore (my original '62 was boosted years ago). I can still play a C width with no problem, just prefer the B width. Don't like A width.

I presently own 3 "B" width P-Basses: '97 AmStd, '95 AmStd Fretless, '00 AmDlx. My hands really like them, and I can play them over any gig and don't a problem.

So, would someone please explain to me the "gnarled claw" syndrome? It's simply beyond this old man's ability to comprehend.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It means, simply stated, he like his Reverend better. And, to be fair, that thing is the new hotness, while a P bass is old and busted. If Reverend made a P-width neck, I'da been all over it (and still am GASing for a Brad Houser Sig. 5er to give a go).
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Congrats! I recently picked up a '97 American Standard P Bass myself. Nothing sits in a mix quite like a P Bass. I love the way it sounds with my blues/rock band. Mine's a different blue with a maple board.

Hope it works out great for you! :cool:

Attached Files:

20. heh, yeah. it came with the deadest rounds ever, and i put some new rounds on to try out with the band. if it doesn't mix well, i'll put on flats and practice my motown on it.

boogiebass, that's nice... i really wish this bass had a maple board, it's such a nice combo with sonic blue.