AT last! Warwick started listening!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

"The Hot Rod looks great, but an added surprise comes when you pick it up – it is light! Warwick designed the body with a hollow tone chamber inside resulting in warmer lows and a much lighter bass weight. If you have admired Warwick basses in the past, but thought they were a bit too heavy to play for a long time, then this is the bass for you!"

It was about time to make basses that are lighter!
    Can my Corvette 6 be retrofitted? :smug:
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Well, that is a step, but does it still have the leviathan neck? It still has MEC pickups and electronics, and it still says Warwick on the headstock, so no thanks.
  3. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    You know its sad that there are people who dont like basses because of theyre brands. I know of lots of people who hate peaveys, but when they see a peavey cirrus and not notice its a peavey and they say they love it they show how ignorant they actually are. You shouldnt be saying that you dislike a bass because its a warwick, shame on you :scowl: lol
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm a fan of their recent run of limitted edition basses. It's too bad that they can't make them all in that same fashion.
  5. The Infinity 2000 Ltd is light, has a wonderful slim neck profile (thin through) and sounds great. They've been listening for a while now... and they've been making some pretty nice instruments of late.
  6. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Aaaarrrggghhh :eek: :confused:
    A Warwick with a maple fretboard.
    Uglier than the Thumb bo maple monster :bawl:

IMHO, of course :smug:
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

I like the P/Reverse P pup version.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd really like to play one of those. If it is as you described, it could be a Warwick I like.
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I agree that it is a step. I would like to see "lightening" techniques used on their sixers, though, be it through tone chambers or lighter woods (i.e. swamp ash.)

And, yes, I do find these limited edition blonde basses (the bleached blonde Thumb and this Hot Rod) attractive, and I actually like the thick neck on the Thumb 5-string.
  10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Excuse me if I'm wrong....But don't they ALREADY have a neckdive problem? :rolleyes:

I cant imagine making the body lighter would help any....
  11. Nothing wrong with warwick! :spit:
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Neckdive problem - it depends on your point of view. It's still somewhere on the German site, and I've translated it here in some threads that the Thumb was designed to be played chest-height, and especially for slap. For that playing style, you'd prefer the neck to be between 0-30 degrees angles - and that's where they stay.

OTOH, many said that the Thumb Bleached Blonde balanced better than the Thumb BO or NT. Go figure...
  13. Well I wear mine between my stomach and my waist, and i don't have problems with neck dive, BECAUSE I KEEP MY HAND ON THE NECK WHEN I'M PLAYING. :p
  14. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Still though, Nick, using one's fretting hand to both fret the notes AND hold up the neck can fatigue the left hand more rapidly than if the neck naturally sits at an upwards angle, hands off.

I must say, though, I do like the concave back on Thumb bodies. Sure beats the thick slab body on the 6 I currently play. I love my bass, but if I raise it to chest height, it crushes my ribs. Then again, I don't particularly want it chest height, otherwise my plucking hand bends at an awkward angle.

And couldn't one relocate the strap buttons to counteract the neck dive? I recently tried out a Thumb bolt-on 5 with an offset rear strap button (placed kinda like the ones on Spector basses) and the neck pretty much stayed put.

EDIT: +1 on the wide strap as mentioned below. I use a 3" Kepur strap with my 6 at belly level and it's very comfy to play.

EDIT 2: And since this ltd edition Hot Rod bass is part of Warwick's Corvette line with the longer upper horn than the Thumb, any neck dive should be less than the Thumb, right?
  15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Trust me, bad neck dive curable 90% of the time. With a wide, non-slip leather strap and a semi-proper bass position you will eliminate must of your neck dive. If you count an instrument out for having bad neck dive without doing the following, then it is your own fault.

My Kramer has an aluminum neck and an extremely short upper horn and it had dive worse than any Warwick Thumb I had ever played. Now with a wide Levy's leather strap and belly level positioning there is no neck dive what so ever. If I could fix the dive on this bass; a Thumb would be a cake walk.
  16. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think all the neck dive stuff happens just on those basses with massive necks as the Thumb (which I find rather unplayable). I also played several Corvettes FNA and found nicer necks and good balance. Anyway, never liked Warwicks' tone nor playability.

17. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...I pretty much thought all the bolt-on Warwick necks were pretty much the same. Though do the neck-throughs have a different profiling than the bolt-ons?

I'm semi-curious if the Streamer Stage 1's neck is profiled any differently from other Warwick necks given that it's a maple neck rather than an ovangkol one.
  18. the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Listen to this.
    Try not letting your left hand and arm fall to your side, like if you weren't using your muscles at all. Watch the position your hand takes
    I think the Thumb has exactly that profile....
    That's my point of view....(I love the thumb)
  19. daTHChronic

Nov 12, 2004
    Tampa, Fl.
    Why does the four string have 4 pickups and the five string have 2?
  20. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    The 4 has 2 P-bass type pickups and the 5 has 2 buckers.