At least we got paid...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    My band played a show on Jan. 18th in my college campus main auditorium (actually it was in the lobby). We had a good turnout and the people really seemed to enjoy us. The only problem I had was that the sound guys kept telling us to turn our amps down. When I watched the videotape of the show, I realized that we could have been a drum and vocal band; there was no second guitar, very little first guitar, and minimal bass.

Has anybody else ever had to deal with a problem like this at a gig? I know we were there mostly for background music, but c'mon! Let us do our job!

On a side note - after we played one of our songs (that we hadn't performed before) a girl, who happens to be one of my best friends and one of our biggest fans, told me that she almost started crying during it because it was so moving. I thought that was the best compliment our band has ever received. If you wan't to check it out, there's an MP3 on my band's website http://www.getoblastah.com The song is called "Napoleon Solo" by At The Drive-In.

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, my old band played a charity gig in a church hall a few years ago, and we managed to secure the use of a PA system and a few half decent amps. However, nobody thought of bringing an amp for the bass. Fortunately, I managed to rummage around and find a Peavey amp that had, as far as I know, been used to call Bingo numbers. I plugged in through this, but was warned that I couldn't turn up too high as it would likely blow the amp.

I looked back at a tape of the gig, and lo and behold, no bass whatsoever - not even a hint of a rumble. I suppose it was probably for the best, as I was so bad in those days. And we didn't even get paid!

3. Good song!