Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

At least we got paid...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    My band played a show on Jan. 18th in my college campus main auditorium (actually it was in the lobby). We had a good turnout and the people really seemed to enjoy us. The only problem I had was that the sound guys kept telling us to turn our amps down. When I watched the videotape of the show, I realized that we could have been a drum and vocal band; there was no second guitar, very little first guitar, and minimal bass.

Has anybody else ever had to deal with a problem like this at a gig? I know we were there mostly for background music, but c'mon! Let us do our job!

On a side note - after we played one of our songs (that we hadn't performed before) a girl, who happens to be one of my best friends and one of our biggest fans, told me that she almost started crying during it because it was so moving. I thought that was the best compliment our band has ever received. If you wan't to check it out, there's an MP3 on my band's website http://www.getoblastah.com The song is called "Napoleon Solo" by At The Drive-In.

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, my old band played a charity gig in a church hall a few years ago, and we managed to secure the use of a PA system and a few half decent amps. However, nobody thought of bringing an amp for the bass. Fortunately, I managed to rummage around and find a Peavey amp that had, as far as I know, been used to call Bingo numbers. I plugged in through this, but was warned that I couldn't turn up too high as it would likely blow the amp.

I looked back at a tape of the gig, and lo and behold, no bass whatsoever - not even a hint of a rumble. I suppose it was probably for the best, as I was so bad in those days. And we didn't even get paid!