At long last.. got my Curbow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Yes, the wait is over! Bassmonkeee and I drove up to Curbow's shop yesterday and I picked up my custom Jazz bass. When we walked back into his workshop, the bass was laying on his set-up table, and when I laid eyes on it I was just blown away! I spec'd this thing out to be my dream bass and it fully lives up to everything I expected. I played it through Curbow's Eden rig.. haven't gotten a chance to play it through my SWR/Aguilar set-up yet. It sounds like a Jazz bass on steroids (I know, I know.. any songs I write on it will have an asterisk next to them in the record book.. steroids are ruining bass-ball.. blah, blah blah!! :D ) The neck, which is the exact same dimensions as my Reverend's neck, plays like a dream, and with the humbucking pickups, the bass is as quiet as a sleeping baby. It's sporting a set of Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass strings. Also, the stencil Curbow uses for his signature on the headstock was broken, so he signed it by hand!
    The specs are...
    *Swamp ash body with birds-eye/quilted maple top
    *Rockwood neck with 21-fret rockwood board
    *Lindy Fralin noiseless Jazz pickups (first set ever made)
    *Curbow bridge and neck joint, Sperzel locking tuners
    And now, some pics!
    Here are links to some more pics.. thanks to bassmonkeee for taking and posting them!'sJazz/bigfront.jpg'sJazz/bigback.jpg'sJazz/headstock.jpg
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, that is sweet. that guy greg can build some basses, lemme tell you buddy. whoo!
  3. Congratulations Dave, she's very pretty.

I to are partial to a bit of Birdeyes, my % string progess is a sanwich of Birdeye front and back, maple core and basswood stringers :)

hope you enjoy here.

I'm working on a maple cored J five at the mo, so i should be able to join the suped up jazz club too.

How does she compare to the MIM super J? :)
  4. Wow, Dave!

Good for you. It looks beautiful. Bet it plays like a dream. Greg's basses are certainly among the best available. He is one of the few masters at his craft.

5. If you think the pictures look should see it in person! :D And it sounds as good as it looks too!

6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    that's a great bass man!

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have always liked the neck on Dave's Reverend, but to have the rockwood neck in those dimensions is absolutely the best four string neck I have ever felt. Period.

And, the body--it's hard to tell in the pics, but the birdseye cap actually has a full quilt.

The bass absolutely screams, too, with the overwound Fralins, and the powerbass strings. Good God. I can't wait to hear it when the strings calm down a little bit.

Dave had Greg set the bass up tuned DGCF, and it sounds huge.

I'd be jealous, but I'm picking up my new Curbow on Friday. :D Greg makes a mean bass.
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

the guy is like a machine or something. awesome. i hope to see dave's jazz and your 8 string in the near future. sweet basses...i want another :D
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very cool, dave! i can't wait to hear it.
  10. Oh yeah.. I forgot to mention Lisa and her husband Joe were at Curbow's shop and got to see and hear the bass firsthand! We kinda had a mini-Atlanta get-together goin' there! :)
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    She's a beauty, Dave. The wood is gorgeous, and I'm sure that Rockwood neck plays fantastic. I'm not used to seeing a Curbow headstock on a Jazz, but the "real" Curbow signature is pretty cool, too.

Now I'm REALLY getting anxious about mine, and I've still got months to wait!

13. Thanks, Mike. That headstock is the 5-string size.. I had him go that route because I thought the 4-string Curbow headstock would look too small on a Jazz bass. Worked out nicely, I think!
    From what I've heard about your bass, it's gonna be awesome, and trust me.. it's worth the wait!
  14. Mmmmmmm, beautiful! Love the traditional shape. Congrats Dave, can't wait to check it out.
  15. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I'm getting GAS for a wenge-necked Jazz Bass...
  16. /me is wondering how this might compare to say, a Sadowsky. :D
  17. Interesting question. It'd be real cool to A/B them. I've still never played a Sadowsky and I'd really like to someday!
    My bass has a couple of things that I think seperate it from the pack a bit. One is the all-rockwood neck, which should be maintenance-free once it settles in. It's also the smoothest feeling neck you can get, period.. the satin-finished Zon neck is the only one I've felt that comes close. I've also got passive electronics, which Sadowsky doesn't offer -- although you can get a passive tone control, and of course their preamp is supposed to be great. I just prefer the passive sound. And the pickups on my bass are not only Fralins, but noise-free to boot.
    I'm sure Sadowskys are as awesome as everyone says. I'd say my bass is also a great one, just a bit different.
  18. Yeah....we had a great time! The only problem is now I'm really jonesing for my bass to be finished, and now I want a Curbow on top of it! :D