Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

At long last, I have joined a band.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, the start of one anyway. We have a singer, a guitarist, and me, onthe cowbell. And bass. the singer is a lso a drummer, but we are searching for a drummer to take over so he can move out front. 1 practce down, no ego, no bizzare idea's about telling me how to play, lots of good communication. It looks good.

edit: as far as sound goes, it's a rock band.

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks SMASH. I hope so too.

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Good luck ...hope to be able to post the same as you(in a band) see my thread below got my fingers crossed.

4. good luck? how is your relationship with these guys? How long have you known them//have you known them before the band?

A good "family" makes a great band.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I met one of them a while back through a mutual friend, otherwise I;ve known them since yesterday.

Bassbully43, good luck as well.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, this is turning out like all other bands, by that I mean getting weaker by the minute.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    So it's probably over by now... over 10 minutes have gone by ;)

What's the problem?

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Slow progress, singer with singing issues that show up randomly, control issues are appearing, they want to use swords as a font to make a band logo.... (I mean ***, swords??)

Look at the origianl post date, then consider the fact that despite 2 practices a week, we only have 3 songs done.

9. WhitleaM

WhitleaM

Feb 22, 2006
    Woodward
    ya...I'm pretty sure it's harder than hell to find a band here....they all SUCk and singers and lead guitarists do have issues.....lol but I will do what it takes.lol

10. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Three original songs or 3 songs total including covers? Either way, I would have to agree that that is pretty slow progress.

I wouldn't sweat the swords though.

Do you enjoy the practices? If so, maybe try to drop to once a week and join a second band that wants to move forward more. You didn't happen to see the movie "Hardcore Logo" did you?

If you don't enjoy the practices..... it is time to move on.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I would emjoy the practices more if more happened....

I have never seen "hardcore logo", but I now want to. I am afraid though, depply afraid.

Also, the second band one night a week idea is a good one, I'm going to start looking.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It makes me want to go back to sitting in front of my PC and writing half songs that will never get finished again. I had more fn doing that.

OTOH, maybe I'm in a terrible mood and will feel better about things after I lay this out for them Thursday.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's nearly Friday morning. How did it go?

-Mike

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I laid it out, they agreed. We are going to follow a set plan with set goals for a short time. If that works, we wil make longer term plans with bigger and better goals. The sword idea has been dropped.

All in all it went OK, the planning stage anyway. Well see how the execution goes though.

15. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That sounds like good progress. At least they are *willing* to change.

Let us know how it goes.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will.

My wife says I'm a touch demanding.... I don't think so, I just expect things not to suck.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent! Three points for you. Keep us updated!

-Mike

18. Do you guys ever hang out, and have a good time together - without discussing "band" issues?

I found that once I could actually enjoy myself with people, and just laugh my ass off, our creativity usually improved drastically.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    We try, but things get in the way, work, family, etc. It's noy easy getting everyone on the same page in a week for practice and something social.

20. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    We have that same problem. Some of us would like to hang out after practice and go to the pub and just hang out for a while. One of the guitarists is out the door within 5 minutes after the last note...he doesn't even stick around to talk about the future.

The rest are indifferent...sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. We all went out as a group one night to dinner and then to see another local band play and to check out the venue. It was nice. Everyone except one person (the other guitarist's wife) had a good time.

When you're older and everyone has jobs/families/whatever, then it gets very difficult to even schedule a practice sometimes, let alone find time to hangout. Bummer.

Keep trying with your band. Remember that they were flexible, so don't forget to be flexible too. For me, that's one of the hardest things to do.