1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

At my house FOH gig this morning.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Paulabass, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I hate it when people ask if I'm the DJ. My boss left this by the front door.
    The 'no Mustang Sally' goes on all our promo,and posters, not just jam night.

57485425_10161630048510072_500854029220315136_n.jpg

12BitSlab, Kro, ak56 and 1 other person like this.
  2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Dang.. it's an easy way to kill 5 mins of set time.. thus, easy money :)
    But I get your point !! LOL

Back in my "lead guitar in a rock/variety band" days, we used to get calls for "freebird" only minutes into the gig.
    In 5 yrs, we only ever played it once and it wasn't that good a version, 'cus we never learnt the song. Played it from memory.
    Why only once?
    When the request would get shouted out by an audience member, I'd get on the mic and tell them "If you put $50 in the tip jar, we'll play it in the next set. If you put $75 (or more), we WON'T play it."

We ALWAYS got great tips !!
    :hyper:

jon mccumber and Geri O like this.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    no mustang sally ? unless you can do it as well as Los Lobos in which case, by all means...

4. Is this an open mic?

It must be sucessful whatever it is because the sign is kinda unfriendly if you ask me.

DirtDog, danster and Wasnex like this.
  5. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA

6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Man, "No Wooo! Girls" would ban a significant amount of my audiences. Not quite sure what the next to last bullet refers to.

As for banter, I WISH I would play venues that actively dissuaded it. Not because my bands banter too much, but because we're so painfully terrible at it. I once, mid-way through a set, told an audience: “You may have heard that we have a reputation for awkward stage banter…” then stared at them blankly for two seconds, at the end of which the drummer clicked us into the next song.

7. Shame he didn't give you a b'dum--tish first.

I think the sign is for the patrons to STHU during the concert. That can be a challenge to achieve. The quality of performance has to be top shelf and a large majority of your audience into the silent attention thing to pull it off.

Kro likes this.
  8. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I think the sign is brilliant:

1) It doesn’t say the same old thing.
    2) For passers-by, if they read it, it is likely to catch their attention.
    3) For those who read it, they would likely get the impression that the music inside is not the same old crud and that the listener is in for a treat.

That is how you potentially turn mild interest into a paying customer.

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Last bullet means that you should be there for the music first, not the bar . . .

10. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I'm still trying to figure out what "NO WOOOOO! GIRLS" means.

- John

11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    You know how the Knights of Ni say "Ni"?

Woo girls say... "WOO".

12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Send the Wooooo! girls to me. :p:hyper::bassist: