Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

At risk of getting flamed...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tom Hutton, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    So I guess I'm putting myself up here to be burned as a heretic, but here goes...
    I played DB for several years in the UK, but had to sell up to afford the plane ticket to move to the US :crying:
    Anyway, after a year here, I am *still* paying off moving debts, but I will be up for a new bass in the New Year sometime. Thing is, I don't really fancy a DB again, I'd like to mess about with an EUB. I was looking at the Ergo 4-string, but opinion here seems split on it, and I'm not certain if those not in favour oppose it largely because it's an EUB rather than because it's a bad EUB.
    So, bearing in mind that I've played good and bad DB's, and have a pretty good idea of what they offer me, I'm looking for a cheap EUB that will allow me to sate my desire for upright bass (pizz and a bit of arco), while still permitting lots of room for sonic experimentation - think Sneaky w/ Fingathing (if anyone has heard of him/them!).
    Does anyone think like the Ergo sounds like it's for me? Or are you all going to try and convince me to get another bull fiddle :D
    Oh yeah, I've only just joined, but I've lurked around here for years and gleaned masses of useful info from these forums - so big thanx to everyone here!

Tom

P.S. Thinking of my old DB still makes me sad - I do wish I still had it...

2. Tom,

Back surgery made it very difficult to impossible to carry my DB around, so I went EUB shopping. I decided on the Ergo and I couldn't be happier with it. It's simple, lightweight, cool looking (I think:cool: ), and at $700 for a 4 string, affordable. The 41 1/2" scale makes it easy to change back and forth between EUB and DB and to my ears, the Ergo has a great, woody sound much like my amplified Kay.:D
    If there is one thing I would change it is the attachment to the stand. There is a rattle there that, while it doesn't come through the pickup, I find a bit annoying.

Jesse is a great guy, easy to deal with, an excellent craftsman and responsive to questions.

Good luck.

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Sorry, but I've not heard of the artists that you mentioned in your post, so I can't base my comments from that.
    But I do play an EUB a lot, most all the time in traveling situations which I find myself in more often that not lately.
    I play a great EUB, the Eminence, no it's not cheap, close to $3000 US with case and stand and stuff. I don't mind saying that I love it! It's a dream for air travel and gets a great sound when amplified. It gets a sound that is very close to a good DB with a pickup. Can be played a usable volume unpluged too for practice as well.
    But...unless you travel all the time like me or have a space problem in your home or don't have a car that can accomidate a DB, (remember, you must have room for an amp too with an EUB) I can't recommend getting an EUB over getting a DB, if that's a choice that you are truly faced with. You live in a big US city now, so the chances of you being able to find a decent plywood bass, for a lot less money than you would spend for an Eminence, or any other decent EUB (Azola, Clevinger, Carruthers, Vector ect.) are very good. As for the Ergo, I've never played one, but with EUB's as with DB's, in most cases, what you get is what you pay for. You might find your self stuck with something that may be hard to sell down the road, and since you are new here, that may be something to concider. You will get more from your money if you get a real bass first, find a teacher, play it a lot and latter think about getting an EUB.
    If you can't get a good fat sound on an acoustic double bass you won't get a good sound on an EUB either. It's just like a double bass with a pickup, garbage in, garbage out! Fat sound in, even mo' fat with an EUB and an amp! But that all comes from playing regular DB, IMHO.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I don't own a EUB, but I have been shopping for one as a travelling instrument. So far, the Eminence is at the top of my list, The Ned Steinberger ones sounded good, but did not feel like a DB. That would be number two if I was able to get used to it.

Neither one is cheap, but I'd rather save and buy the right thing than buy garbage.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't forget those Azola EUB's. Many guys here really like their quality basses. It'd be an Azola or Eminence if it were me, but you should probably just get a real DB and be done with it. :)

6. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    I'll chime in for the Steinberger as well. I agree, It did take some getting used to, but after about an hour, it started to feel comfortable. Also, I felt like it was easier to play electric bass style extensions and string crossings. And through all of that it still made a good "upright" sound.

7. I got an older model BSX 2000 from eBay recently, excellent EUB with Bartolini piezo and single coil magnetic pup, built-in pre-amp. Has a real DB ebony fingerboard and carved neck with the proper bridge height. The winning bid was just over $900. I strung it with Spirocores and been giging with it for the past month and it is all that, and a bag of chips! :cool: