Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

At The Drive-in tribute thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jenderfazz, May 15, 2005.

1. Listening to these guys right now... how great is all of their stuff? Every album has its own character, every song is so well-crafted, everything about the band is amazing.

I'm a huge Mars Volta fan, and I also really like Sparta. Both bands seem to be doing pretty well and At The Drive-In may finally be put in the past. But if that's the case I'd just like to pay respects to At The Drive-In for being an amazing, truly influential band. Imploding at its very prime, the band never went downhill. The whole story of their hiatus is pretty legendary, in a "better to burn out than to fade away" kind of way.

But the music speaks for itself. Quite simple songs, odd lyrics at times... but so much energy, originality, and emotion. Truly a great rock band.

2. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    I am a MASSIVE fan of ATDI. I really am obsessed with them.

Like you said, their energy on record and especially live is amazing!

If you want some live videos of them just give me a pm and i can perhaps send them to you.

My favorite album is Relationship of Command, simply because it is the best written song wise. You can really hear them mature as a band through their albums. Acrobatic Tenement starts out with youthful punk attitude and by ROC, they had become really heavy and mature :D

I kind of like Sparta, simply because they sound like ATDI so much. I prefer the Mars Volta though. I saw them live a few months ago. Juan was great on the bass, and Ikey was awesome on the keys, and Omar was awesome on guitar and Cedircs voice was (obviously) awesome :D

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Mars Volta, IMO, kicks so much @$$. Saw them live, they blow me away.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ATDI is OK, musically, it's amazing how weak of a factor Mr. Singer was considering how much respect he gets in Mars. My friends and I laughed our asses off at how off key he was on a few songs... he use to be really bad.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I really like At the Drive-In, TMV and Sparta are hit and miss, but ATDI was pretty much always on. The Stooges-via-DC sound with the Burroughsesque lyrics.

In addition, Gold Standard Labs is an awesome awesome label.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love ATD-I. Between them, Fugazi and Refused they changed the way I look at 'Alternative' music.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw "The Wizard of Gore" and "The Corpse Grinders" at the Drive-In. They were cool flicks.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Giving them a second shot: I downloaded One Armed Scissor and Quarentined... and they are actually quite amazing... I prefer this to a lot of Mars Volta... very very nice. I can see why they are so popular...err were so popular. I don't know if this is the Mars guitarist... but he knows his role a bit more in this band. He seems to fancy himself a virtuoso in TMV...

9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I like ATD-I. One of my best friends is a HUGE fan. Really a fun band to listen to. I'd have to say I prefer The Mars Volta, though I'd be in a rough spot not having either of them around to lsiten to.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Yes, they're both Omar. I think part of it is 1) ATDI was a much younger band, and young bands + prog rock stylings=Poop 2) There were three other guys who were more straightforward, so it averaged out very nicely.

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I love this band, a lot. :)
    There's an anthology cd w/a bonus dvd coming out on fearless records this month (5/25 i think). (at least according to a local radio station website)

CD tracklisting:
    01. “Fahrenheit”
    02. “Picket Fence Cartel”
    03. “Chanbara”
    04. “Lopsided”
    05. “Napoleon Solo”
    06. “Pickpocket”
    07. “Metronome Arthritis”
    08. “198d”
    09. “One Armed Scissor”
    10. “Enfilade”
    11. “Non Zero Possibility”
    12. “Incetardis”
    13. “Doorman’s Placebo”
    14. “Autorelocator”
    15. “Rascuache”
    16. “This Night Has Opened My Eyes”
    17. “Initiation”
    18. “Take Up Thy Stethoscopes And Walk”

DVD tracklisting:
    01. “One Armed Scissor”
    02. “Invalid Litter Dept.”
    03. “Metronome Arthritis”
    04. “Operations Manual” – Electronic Press Kit
    05. Discography
    06. Wallpaper & Buddy Icons

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Got into ATDI after gettign into TMV last year. They are hellacious indeed. Great stuff!

13. One of the funniest things I have ever seen happened at a Rage Against The Machine concert several years ago. I drove up to Detroit to see the show, and had never heard of ATDI. This was before "One Armed Scissor" got any attention.

During their entire set, the crowd at the Palace boo-ed (how do you spell that?) and flipped the band off. I had a pretty good view of this as we were actually seated behind and above the stage. To see several thousand people flipping the band off while they were playing was great.

Oh, and by the way, ATDI sucked something awful! My brother-in-law and I make fun of them to this day. I've been playing for 16 years now, and spent time in everything from acoustic bands to metal bands, and I don't remember being as angry as when ATDI hit it big. After seeing them live I was convinced that them making any money at all was a travesty! And now this guy is supposed to be a genius? They just plain sucked!

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I could see them sucking live.

Oh and it's Boo-urns.

15. I DID see them sucking live!
    ;)

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA