At the mercy of the soundman

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by emor, Sep 4, 2004.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    Our local art galleries sponser "First Friday" each month which is when all the galleries have their openings. A generally festive atmosphere with live music of various styles and ambitions on the street.

Last night we happened upon a free concert of a professional touring band from out of state. Large professional P.A., lighting, etc. We hung around to check them out.

The bass player played a Music Man (sorry, don't know the model) through an Aquilar rig. From what I've read here, this should have sounded great, but it was just a big blob of mud. Not only was there absolutely no tone, I couldn't even distinguish individual notes most of the time. Oddly enough, the mix on the rest of the band wasn't too bad.

So here's this guy, thousands of dollars tied up in his equipment, probably thinks he sounds great, at the mercy of the soundman. Too bad.
  2. Bass and kick drum can be the most difficult instruments to deal with in the PA. Especially with (ok, let's pick a number here) large 20kW and higher PA systems.

There is hope.... I just attended a local outdoor show, in which my friends were opening for a KISS tribute band. The PA stacks were 4x EAW subs and 6x EAW tops per side, with umpteen kilowatts and the soundman coaxed a decent tone out of both bass players. My friend Kyle in the opening band was playing a bass that I used to own, and the tone through the PA was decent. Not really faithful to the tonal character of that particular bass, but decent.

Some sound men insisit on making every bass sound like a Fender Precision. Not that there's anything bad about the sound of a P-bass, but soundguys should let a bass sound like 'itself'. Hope that makes sense.
  3. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

FOH techs are just like players. There are great ones, mediocre ones and absolute hacks. Based on some of my experiences, I suspect there are even several deaf ones.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

What? :D
  5. :D