Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

at this time...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Dec 18, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd like to say a few things - i hope i can be indulged a bit, given the occasion. :D

well, i was going to get all sappy and post a big speech, but let's just sum it up like this...

i love you guys. :D i've met so many killer, killer people on this board, so many great friends who've bridged the gap into real life friendships. so many folks who i'm really thankful to have met who i would never had the chance to talk to otherwise. the great conversations about politics, religion and other potentially hot topics that have been generally, with few exceptions, civilised and enlightening because of our mutual respect for one another, not to mention the huge impact this community has had on my playing, music knowledge and confidence.

i've had meaningful correspondence with folks from canada, mexico, iceland, germany, holland, england, scotland, china, isreal, italy, france, russia, australia, just to name a few, and have met folks in chicago, annaheim, orlando, toronto, new york and various parts of pa, as well as the awesome greater-atlanta bass posse and support group.

i've learned a lot about bass and music, and more importantly about people from you folks, and i'm very grateful to have had that opportunity.

i'm really thankful that this forum is available to me, and that i've had the pleasure of knowing you folks online and in real life. i hope i get the chance to meet more of you folks in my travels, as well as to meet up with the friends i've made again some time.

thanks guys. :D

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    John, you are l337. Or you have a lot of time on your hands. :D Either way, congratulations on doing something that only internet nerds would be proud of. ;) And now I can go to bed.

So... who's gonna get to 20k first?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]

not sure "why" i want to congratulate you, but i do! congratulations big guy! :D place wouldn't be the same without ya.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Way to go, jt...

race ya to 10001;)

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Any votes for "sticking" this bad mother of a post to to top of the page?

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

thanx for being here JT you've also contributed to this site and to bassplayers alike.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, the counter doesn't reset at 10K. I've always wondered about this.

8. 10,000!
    [TB crashes and all post counts are reset to zero]
    Doh!

Congrats, JT. How'd you do it, just go on an OT rampage? Last I saw, Embellisher had you beat by 30 or 40.

Okay, I'm starting a pool for who hits six digits first, who's in? :D

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    10k......I'm crying over here. i got to see it. BIG OL 10000........It's a great thing JT. when i first got on the boards, i kept hearing rumors of the "Mohawk 7 stringer".... i was confsued. but after the time has passed, i'm proud to know the "Mohawked 7 stringer". And his conklins...
    Bow to the post god.;)

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    JT, you da mayhn!

:D

Thanks man, thanks for everything...

...now, go pay attention to Barbara, or I'll have to drive up there and kick your @$$!!!

;)

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i was up ahead by a couple of hundred a few weeks ago, but then real life sorta got the better of me.

the last few days i've been on a rampage to make up for lost ground, but i've tried to keep the tardish freebies to a minimum. :)

12. Would you like a hug JT? :eek:

You do realise that now you've made it to 10K you have to go through the waxing ritual again...

:D:D

Merls

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Congrats JT! I can tell my kids I SAW IT HAPPEN MAN!!!! (wipes away tear...)

14. *Fanfare plays*

Way to go! That's alot of free time!

*Fanfare dies down...*

:D

Just kidding!

10,000 posts, and hopefully 20,000 isn't too far out of reach.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i really am a dork, aren't i? :rolleyes:

still, i love you guys :).

you know, i often get on the guitarists in my band to get involved with something like this - they'd grow as musicians, and they'd also get a chance to really communicate in another community, but you know what? i don't think something like talkbass would work for guitar. don't get me wrong, there's some good guitar sites out there, but nothing that's as big as this with the very high signal to noise ratio like we have. at least, i've never seen it. i guess it's something about the instrument and it's role - as bassists we are all maybe just a bit more tolerant of differences and open minded. maybe a bit. :)

16. But aren't we all to be up at this hour (well, some of us) interacting through a keyboard and monitor?;)

Anyway, JT, I've had a blast since coming back to the instrument this year, and your participation in this forum has been a big part of that. Thanks to you, and all the other mods and enthusiasts (even Brad) for keeping this little part of the world special for us other dorks. :D

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, we are all dorks. you know, with this big event,,, it makes me wonder how life without talkbass would be, and what i would do without it.........

Nah, better not to even think of it.:)

18. embellisher

John, BIg O said it best. We are all dorks! But at least we have each other.:D

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you are the wind beneath my wiiiiinnngggsss!!!

[​IMG]

20. embellisher

MOMMY, MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!!!:eek:!!!:eek:!!!:eek:!!!:eek:!!!:eek:!!!