At what approximate age...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Warpeg, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Here's an odd question that I'm sure everyone is going to judge me harshly on :smug:

I'll be turning 30 this year. The thought has crossed my mind that at some point (sooner, later, or already past that time) I will be physically viewed as too old to be vigorously jumping around on stage, playing heavy rock, etc.

So, in everyone's opinion, what is the estimated age where it may start to seem visually inappropriate to be in a band that plays younger, original music? You know...when do you become..."that guy"?

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    When you start looking like you're faking it.

3. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    Original music?

I am 35. I play heavy original rock music. It is possible that I have become "that guy". It probably happened in my late twenties. Warpeg, you are probably "that guy" already and do not even know it. I am sorry that I have to be the one who has to break it to you.

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Do it til you don't feel like doing it any more. Screw what anybody else thinks.

5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Hehe. You're probably right. :p

I'll keep doing it until I die. I'm just wondering when I'll start getting the weird looks. :D

6. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    Don't look now :eyebrow:

7. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    One of the biggest issues of turning thirty is the feeling that your youth has ended. Many people spend the next few years lamenting their loss, then sometime around 34 realize that they still feel OK and they've just wasted four years sulking.

Jump around. Break a leg. Get old when you feel like, what's the hurry?

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You'll also find out how many excellent players move around very little.

Jumping around isn't necessary to be a great player.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Somebody tell Steve Harris, quick! :D

10. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Yup, 30 is it... guess you're done.;)
    But seriously, jumping around is over at 25 and playing heavy rock no later than 28 years, 3 months and 2 days.

30? Wow. Its over dude.

11. while all the jumping around may make your stage show more visually appealing it does absolutely nothing to improve the music .........may even have a negative effect......the best bands seem to function without a lot of stage antics because they do the music well and no amount of stage bs will ever replace fine musicianship

12. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Unfortunately, this statement only applies to musicians. The rest of the world thrives on stage BS.

On Topic:

I'm 33, and darned if I'm gonna let some uppity little snot-nosed whelp tell me I'm too old to jump around.

Now git off my lawn!!!

13. I covered this one buddy. Look in my posting history.

14. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Uh...when did this turn into a discussion about stage antics or musicianship? I, and I'm sure there are many others, don't move around on stage to make a show more "appealing". I simply move because I get into what I'm playing and I'm having fun. My technique is not effected by these actions; it's not like I'm doing acrobatic maneuvers off of the drummer's head. Lighten up, folks.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't know why stage BS and fine musicianship can't co-exist. And neither does Vic when he slings his bass around his neck. Or Jaco when he did all his crazy stuff throwing the bass and getting the crowd to rock with him. Or any number of great musicians who like to have fun onstage by interjecting a little bit of entertainment to the proceedings rather than bore their audiences visually.

16. Jeez; I'm an ol' fat 50 year old and I'm still playing music in a locally successful band with guys in their early-to-mid-twenties. I'm not a clown act and nobody's ever suggested I "act my age".

The worst thing, though, is when I see a guy trying to pretend he's 19 when he's, er, "mature". I accept the fact that I'm not a kid any more but that doesn't mean I'm gonna curl up and die.

And, yep, I still get some action (when the audience members bring their mums along).

17. well then i guess that it follows that acts that dont do "crazy stuff" are simply boring their audiences.....maybe a few stage dives would have helped coltranes sales...the idea that there needs to be some visual stimuli at all times is the reason no one actually listens to the band any more.....if you cater to an audience that expects dumb ass stuff.....mosh pits,pyro,...whats next clown suits.....oh ,right gene simmons.....

once you get into this stuff it then becomes a never ending top this- top that spiral....if one wants to be a novelty act ,cool but dont complain when nobody takes your profession seriously......the op asked at what age does this stuff become unseemly.....id say about 1970...i dunno if a little spontaneous stuff now and then hurts but it gets to the point where you gotta do it all the time just to get booked......if you dont mind playing for drunks who couldn't care less fine,but i pay my dough for the music.......al dimeola or al yankovic,the choice is clear

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Multiple questions here.

1. is 30 too old to hard rock??? HELL NO!!

I'm almost 47 and I play in a hard rock act. If you can pull it off, have fun! Stay in shape, try and dress the part, and love the music. That's all people care about.

2. Is 30 time to give up dreams of making it?

I sorta got that outta your post. If you mean MAKE IT HUGE IN THE HARD ROCK WORLD - Get very VERY popular and make tons of money? Probably yes. It's time to give up those dreams. It's a industry where almost no one really "makes it" any more anyway, and it's tilted heavily to the young.

can you still dream? Yes, but don't count on it.

but you'll find there is plenty of years of music left in you. Decades. You just have to adjust your expectations.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm 42 and we cover newer music. Who would have thunk an old man could rock Buck Cherry or Hinder?

Don't sweat the age thing, keep playing until it hurts.

20. Ha! I'm 18 and I'm probably already that "guy."

I remember a year ago I was doing a drummerless gig with the lead guitarist from my band of the same age and a rhythm/guitarist who was about 45. He was about 100x more energized than me. I really think age doesn't mean anything. Look at Mick Jagger, 67 years and still jumping around like he is 20. Recently, I have been playing a lot more jazz and upright bass and I don't think you can really jump :hyper: around with an upright bass ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021