1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

At What Child's Age Should You Stop Walking Around The House Naked?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Mar 26, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My daughter is now 3 1/2. My wife walks around the house naked when my daughter is around, mostly when either getting ready in the morning, or at night, for example, she likes to walk around with sweats and no shirt sometimes. If it means anything, she has large breasts. I walk around naked too, but only when getting dressed or getting out of the shower, and I cover my testicles with a shirt or something so my daughter can only see my bum. My dad just mentioned to me that my daughter should not be seeing my package anymore.

I don't usually care, but I've started to think that perhaps we should not do it so much anymore. My wife says that it's no big deal and her mother walked around naked (they were swingers) until my wife was 10 even. I tend to agree, but I wonder if there are any negative repercussions to this. Both my wife and I are meaty at this time, my wife more so than me, and I wonder if my daughter will sub consciously try to emulate our/her look?

FWIW, my daughter doesn't point anything out, I.E. it's seemingly natural to her, but when won't it be?

How do you guys feel about this?

2. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    IMO It depends on your views. The more of a big deal you make of nudity, the more taboo it becomes. It's just a human body. My family does the same. My daughter is 7 and my son is 4. This is normal to them.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I'm totally sexist in this regard , your wife may , you may not.:)

Start with sox and work your way up gradually.

Let me know if you'd like to come camping with me and my weight-watchers group ,there's still space in the hatchback for someone , [you might have to grease yourself up first] :)

4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I wouldn't be concerned, but I find typical North American prudishness regarding nudity to be silly. :)

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    the moment you recognize and feel it may be an issue. that could be now, it could be never.

I don't think there's a handbook / textbook / psychologist-establishment answer to this. Up to your discretion.

Are you a nudist? I am in my house at times, lol. Doesn't make it pretty.

6. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    well....it would be easier to give you som kind of advice if you could give us a picture or two. The size of her breasts may be very important here.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    FOR SCIENCE!

8. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Exactly

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    They are ample. Think Christy Canyon.

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Tend to agree with this, but I don't have kids, so there'll be a long line of people here to tell you how my opinion doesn't count.

11. How do I feel about it ? Your family makes mine look absolutely asexual in comparison.

12. Pics or it never happened! :)

There, someone had to say it! :D

13. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Do it until it feels weird. A well-adjusted view of physiology is critical to freeing young people from being trapped in weird hang-ups, inhibitions, and social ignorance. At some point, it'll just be creepy and it'll make sense to stop.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Without showing her face, all I can provide is a pic of her bending over the bathtub with her new tattoo at the time.

15. Post #6, you were beaten to the posts there. :ninja:

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK, makes sense. If I urinate and she wants to see my "nu nu" as we call it, is that weird? At this point, I've been turning away from her.

17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I stopped walking around totally naked in front of my daughters when the oldest was around 3. My wife stopped walking around my son naked when he was about the same age.

18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Basic discretion is also part of the lesson.

19. LOL! I hesitate to ask where this new tattoo is! :eek:

Oh, never mind! Let's just leave it at that! :smug:

20. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    My youngest is twentyfive.
    Maybe I should try walking around the house nude.
    It may prompt him to find his own place.